Galaxy S5 camera doesn't focus (not blurry photos)

davybhoy

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. I have a problem with my Galaxy S5 that is driving me nuts! I did quick search on here but only find people posting about picture blur but my issue is different.

Basically my camera can't focus on anything more than about 7" away! It used to work (I got it on launch day), but I noticed a short while ago that it won't focus. I've tapped the screen to try and get it to focus and tried downloading photo taking apps but nothing can help. I have tried messing with all the settings, resetting the camera settings and even did a full factory reset! I went to EE store and they said they can send it away but it would take 2 to 3 weeks and I would have no phone which I couldn't do without (Who could though?). I love this phone and it's my first Samsung after always using iPhones but this problem is driving me nuts!

Can anyone think what is wrong or of a fix?

Regards

Davy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! A few things to check:

1. Make sure the camera isn't set to Macro mode (usually a flower icon), which is specifically for very up-close shots. This can make it difficult to focus on anything that isn't very close to the lens.

2. I'm sure you've already done this, but make sure the lens is very clean.

3. The autofocus mechanism is one of the very few moving parts in a phone (the other usually being the vibration motor), so it's possible it may have failed, especially if there were any recent drops or trauma.

davybhoy

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I was led to believe that the Galaxy S5 doesn't have macro mode? I looked for a flower icon and don't see one and yes, I checked the lens is very clean. It has been dropped 2 or 3 times but not enough to have caused any damage to the phone or screen. I guess that mean that the focus must have had it then :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm just guessing about Macro mode--I don't have an S5 to test it out myself.

Have you tried any 3rd party camera apps?

davybhoy

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I'm just guessing about Macro mode--I don't have an S5 to test it out myself.

Have you tried any 3rd party camera apps?

Yeah I tried 1 and the first time I tried it it worked, but then never worked again. I regularly try resetting the camera settings and the odd time the camera works but then if I exit the camera and go back in, it doesn't focus again.

davybhoy

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in replying. I tried Camera Zoom FX and it too made no difference :( I hate not having a camera. I don't use it often but I can take a pic of nothing at the minute unless it's 3 inches away :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
At this point, I'd either talk with your wireless store or with Samsung about repair or replacement. It should still be under warranty.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Talk to your wireless carrier and see if they can at least give you a loaner phone for that time. Verizon had to do that once for me when my iPhone 5 was acting up (actually refusing to connect to 4G LTE unless I reset it). Apple sent the iPhone 5 off for repair but I went through Verizon for the loaner.

Detectionable

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Take your fingernail and go over the camera Lens. There is a piece of plastic from the factory !
You got to really dig to find it.

There was a piece of plastic over my lens when I first got the phone, but it had a cut-out where the actual sensor needed to look out from, so it didn't affect the photo quality or cause any issues to the camera while it was still on

davybhoy

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
There's definitely no plastic covering the lens and the camera used to focus so that can't be it.

I spoke to EE in their store and they said they would lend me a phone but it was going to be the cheapest piece of crap around that only calls and does txts!

I should just throw it against the ground so I can claim on my house insurance!

Fajar Kurniawan2

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys. I have a problem with my Galaxy S5 that is driving me nuts! I did quick search on here but only find people posting about picture blur but my issue is different.

Basically my camera can't focus on anything more than about 7" away! It used to work (I got it on launch day), but I noticed a short while ago that it won't focus. I've tapped the screen to try and get it to focus and tried downloading photo taking apps but nothing can help. I have tried messing with all the settings, resetting the camera settings and even did a full factory reset! I went to EE store and they said they can send it away but it would take 2 to 3 weeks and I would have no phone which I couldn't do without (Who could though?). I love this phone and it's my first Samsung after always using iPhones but this problem is driving me nuts!

Can anyone think what is wrong or of a fix?

Regards

Davy

I have that problem too,has you solve that?

Dajoca2014

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
This sounds stupid, but try shaking the phone. I read it on another thread and It works for me. It's as though the AF jams and shaking it helps to release it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma