Samsung s5 battery drain Lollipop

OnFire4Ever

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I know,lollipop came out not to be what everybody expected, but disabling apps that one doesnt use( google and sumsung services) or even turning sync off sometimes, will help with the battery life.In 2 months is rumored for the samsung s5 the new lollipop version 5.0.2 . Maybe it will fix most of the issues that are being reported :)

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Same for me, batt life was great with KK, its DEFINITELY worse under Lollipoop (no its not a typo). Lollipoop uses more RAM, ergo a bit more CPU, ergo more battery.

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
To all you guys saying that your battery usage graph says that you are only going to have a few hours of battery life; how long did your battery actually last? When I checked mine yesterday morning it was giving me 3 hours of usage. At the end of the day(about 14 hours) I had 26% left.

I have a feeling that the update reset the battery statistics on our phones, and the OS is having to relearn our typical battery usage to predict how much time we have left on battery power.

Posted via the Android Central App

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I never use the batt usage graph as it wasnt very good before and they've managed to make it worse! Doesn't even show the total uptime anymore, crap. I use GSAM instead. Anyway all my timings are based on real times not from an application, its worse under Lollipop especially when the screen is in use, the end.

TJ Kaiser

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same problem. I ended up backing up all my data and doing a factory reset (doesn't revert back to KitKat - clean Lollipop only). It solved the OS problem (was using a large percentage of the battery just like the picture posted by another user). Anyways, my phone was getting extremely hot and the battery was still draining (although not as quick). I disabled all the Amazon apps and a few others (Amazon, Amazon app suite, Kindle, Amazon MP3, IMDb, NFL Mobile (Verizon), and Softcard). I'm no longer having the issue. Honeslty, I think it was the Softcard app, but seeing as how I don't use any of the others, I went ahead and disabled them also.

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yep. I'm on Verizon - Galaxy S5 and I immediately noticed a drastic change in battery life. My phone used to go a few days without needing to recharge... now, from being fully charged in the morning, I have to recharge at around 9pm!! And this is WITH using power saving mode! The main reason I got this phone was the amazing battery life! Now it's more like the battery life of a Galaxy S3! This is terrible. I often stay out late and need my phone for directions so I loved being able to rely on my GS5's amazing battery life. Now, I'm trying to conserve every percentage of battery life throughout the day by not using WiFi or 4G or any of the other things I used to use all the time. With my regular use before, at the end of the day I would normally be around 70%. Now... 5%. What gives, Google?! I thought this update was supposed to IMPROVE battery life!

Does anyone know of a way to downgrade the operating system back to the previous version of Android (4.4.4 or whatever it was)? I desperately want my battery performance back!

UPDATE: After speaking with Verizon and Samsung Technical Support, the best solution seems to be to do a factory reset so... that's what I'm going to do. Backing up everything now). After that I'm going to try to find a way to install specific updates (pre-lollipop obviously).

Last edited:

John Boggio

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Possible Solution - I too upgraded my Samsung S5 to Lollipop (on 2/5/15) and immediately started to suffer from battery drain. Even while charging using a Verizon branded 2.1a supply (note, it was NOT a Samsung charger), I could barely get my phone to charge (normally, I could go from a nearly empty battery to a full charge in less than 2hrs). Anyhow, I called Samsung Tech Support (888-987-4357) and the representative's suggestion was to perform a total factory reset (which is the LAST thing I want to do). I said thanks and hung-up. So after reading some suggestions on some forums, I decided to clear the cache of the "Google Play Services" app (which was only 335kb in size), and recharge the phone using my Samsung charger that came with the phone. Immediately after doing this and plugging in my phone, I noticed that the phone was again charging quickly. I left it plugged in overnight and disconnected it this morning at 6am. For the next 30 minutes, the only thing that I used the phone for was the alarm (I kept hitting snooze), and at 630am, I lost only 1% battery, a pleasant surprise. Then from 730-9pm, I streamed Sirius while at the gym and checked some emails and text messages. It is now 4.5hrs later and I still have 70% battery life. Tremendous improvement since yesterday and my battery status indicator shows that I still have 9hrs of charge left at 70%. Note, yesterday when I had all these problems, even with an 82% charge, the indicator said that my expected battery would be empty in 3hrs! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was a possible fix, without having to perform a total factory reset. If you want to try this fix: Goto Settings > Applications > Application Manager > DOWNLOADED (I did NOT choose Running) > Google Play Services > Clear Cache. Like I said, I am keeping my fingers crossed...Hope it works for you too.

Detectionable

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I just factory reset after upgrading to Lollipop, then did a few full charge cycles, from 100% to as low as possible before the phone turns off, then back to 100% again, did that about 4 days running, seems to have calibrated the battery / sensors or whatever it uses, I now have 40 hours (1 day 16 hours) usage with 42% battery life left, and an estimated 1 day 5 hours remaining

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I just updated my S5 yesterday. After all of the app updates were finished it started running smoothly. It seems a little faster and smoother then before. I hooked up to the charger when I went to bed last night so I could check it out with a full charge. This morning I noticed the battery was draining faster than normal. I did find that Google Location Reporting was on and I disabled that. That seemed to slow the battery drain a bit. I'm going to check out some more settings and turn off some other culprits. So far I'm happy with Lollipop.

Mark

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After talking with Verizon and Samsung Galaxy S5 technical support, the best solution seems to be a factory reset -_- Which I am totally willing... and going to do to get my battery life back. Lollipop has some neat features but it's not worth this terrible battery life :/

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Battery sucks since update. Phone is hot all the time. 1/2 day use now compared to full day.

Attachments

• 1423240852409.jpg
    1423240852409.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 64

rycrow99

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Normally I am just a lurker here, searching for answers from people, like you, who know a lot more about the back workings of celluar devices, but I thought I would finally drop my 2 cents in.

I just updated on 2/5/2015 from 4.4.4 to 5.0 and I too noticed really quick battery drain.

Running on Kitkat:

Screen autodim
Left wi-fi antenna on constantly
Left blutooth on constanly
moderate websurfing
facebook
web games
could go from 5:00 am to 2:30 pm before needing a charge where as, after upgrade with all of the abov I was charging by 10:00 am

Turned off the following
Screen auto dim
Wifi except when at home or a saved location
Blutooth (forget to turn it back on)
maintained moderate websurfing
Maintained facebook surfing
maintained webgames
Went from 5:00 am to about 4:30

I have left just the wi-fi antenna on all day today (2/6/2015) and only made it to 1:00 pm before I needed a charge.

Downloaded the battery monitorGsam and it only states that the scree is the biggest user of the battery, then Kernel followed by Andrioid system.

I was hoping to get so much more battery life with the upgrade as it was touted as one of the primary features.

I do not have an issue doing a complete reinstall, but I have not had time to do that. Also, I am hoping if that does not fix the issue, that the 5.0.1 or 5.0.2. will do the trick.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My battery is shot at 3:45. Never have I had a battery dead at this time in the day.

Attachments

• 1423255650142.jpg
    1423255650142.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 57

Detectionable

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
After talking with Verizon and Samsung Galaxy S5 technical support, the best solution seems to be a factory reset -_- Which I am totally willing... and going to do to get my battery life back. Lollipop has some neat features but it's not worth this terrible battery life :/

That's what I and quite a few others did, definitely helped, also disabled a few samsung apps, the fitness apps and stuff

Coming up to 48 hours since last charge, low/medium use, still 35% remaining

AYHsHVh.png

eMIA0zu.png

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
We really shouldn't have to do a factory reset, plus its a massive pain in the arse getting all your settings back to how they were. Its a similar story with PC operating systems in the past yes a fresh install was the best and sometimes the only way to upgrade, but things moved on years ago and doing an in place upgrade is the norm now. This really should be the case for mobile operating systems as well imo.

Detectionable

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Upgrading a Windows OS is still the worst way to install a new OS, and still leaves multiple bugs behind - upgrades are never advised, always fresh install - same is true for everything OS related

PITA yes, but still necessary in the majority of cases

11Jag

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I installed 5.0 a week ago and I found that cleaning the cache really helped, but the constant escalating screen lag just put me off. I did a full hard reset which helped for a bit, disabled most of the stock apps, but it still needed rebooting every morning just to stay usable. I ended up flashing the phone with 4.4.2 using Odin 2.09. It doesn't have the funky safe locations for screen unlocking, but it's stable, fast, and there's a hell of a lot more room for apps, plus it's more responsive. Never leaping into an update again. Thank Christ for Odin SamMobile :)

Posted via the Android Central App
How do you flash your phone?

Alan Shinberg

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I use the paid for Battery Doctor, and Clean Sweep, I was texting and it dropped from 98 percent about 20 percent in 10 minutes. After two hours it was down to 35 percent. I disabled everything I could think of, turned off upgrades, push data, even made my wallpaper solid black. Recharged it and I got an extra couple of hours. Not acceptable to a phone I paid $699 with no contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22