AT&T S5 Won't Update

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
My wife's S5 has been telling her every week for about a month or so that there's an update. Every time she tried after rebooting her phone tells her that the update failed. It showed back up tonight and she told the phone to remind her later. I cleared the cache thinking that may be the problem. However, now it says no firmware installed when you try to continue the update. Anyone have any idea what to do? Thanks!

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
We had to factory reset one of ours because something mundane in the phone was blocking it. We still don't know what it was to this day but it sure as hell let him update once it was finished.

Boom! From My S5

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I had mine rooted, and of course it wouldn't update. Removed root, then it would make it to 26% and then fail on the update.
Bit the bullet, and totally restored mine to factory with Odin. With nothing else on the phone other than the stock ATT bloatware, no google login, no samsung login, it will still not update. It makes it to about 32% and fails now.
I think there are several Galaxy's out there that are untouched, that still won't update, so I am now just going to sit and wait, and see if it sorts itself out...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had mine rooted, and of course it wouldn't update. Removed root, then it would make it to 26% and then fail on the update.
Bit the bullet, and totally restored mine to factory with Odin. With nothing else on the phone other than the stock ATT bloatware, no google login, no samsung login, it will still not update. It makes it to about 32% and fails now.
I think there are several Galaxy's out there that are untouched, that still won't update, so I am now just going to sit and wait, and see if it sorts itself out...

It will. In <= to 2 months you'll have the update and, perhaps, by then the bugs will be worked out.

Shorty Yamamoto

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
There is actually a pretty easy fix for this. you have to downgrade to the NCE build and baseband using Odin and then sideload the NCE to NG3 update and the sideload the NG3 to OA1 update. This brings your phone to 4.4.4. No root, will accept all future att OTA updates. Found all this info on XDA developers. Takes about 15-20 mins.

Posted via the Android Central App

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok try Samsungs kies this bypasses the OTA this will download the firmware first.
Now this will not work if you have any custom rom or you have changed any part of a stock rom.
Now if you have done this kies can fix this and put back on the previous firmware or the last that samsung no was on, after that has been done it will then offer you the update

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Reset the phone to a factory image, and it still wouldn't update.
Took it in to an ATT Core (retail) store, and they couldn't do it either (obviously). They got warranty service on the phone and they shipped me out another phone. Supposedly, they have had some issues with some of the phones and their inability to take an OTA update.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't see any merit to updating it to 4.4.4. I forced update to 4.4.4 after waiting about a week and regret doing that. It brought more at&t bloats and stand-by battery drain with WiFi on (when not connected) is worse than before. If it won't update, I would rather have it at 4.4.2 and wait until Lollipop update hits (hopefully 5.0.2 or later one).

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok try Samsungs kies this bypasses the OTA this will download the firmware first.
Now this will not work if you have any custom rom or you have changed any part of a stock rom.
Now if you have done this kies can fix this and put back on the previous firmware or the last that samsung no was on, after that has been done it will then offer you the update

How do I do all of that? I've never had an issue like this before. We've moved on to different phones and I would like to get it updated properly for the next owner.

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
There is actually a pretty easy fix for this. you have to downgrade to the NCE build and baseband using Odin and then sideload the NCE to NG3 update and the sideload the NG3 to OA1 update. This brings your phone to 4.4.4. No root, will accept all future att OTA updates. Found all this info on XDA developers. Takes about 15-20 mins.

Can u post the exact xda thread

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem with mine and I had to take it to an AT&T store that had device support and they had to install the update directly and it worked. I tried Kies, I tried EVERYTHING before going there and nothing was working, always kept failing at 32% so I got sick of it and had to go get it done by an AT&T rep. I'm glad I did because I'm quite happy with the update!! Seems to have fixed the slight problem I've had when having to use the phone on speaker, plus my battery life is slightly longer than before. I'm pretty happy with it.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Had the same problem with mine and I had to take it to an AT&T store that had device support and they had to install the update directly and it worked. I tried Kies, I tried EVERYTHING before going there and nothing was working, always kept failing at 32% so I got sick of it and had to go get it done by an AT&T rep. I'm glad I did because I'm quite happy with the update!! Seems to have fixed the slight problem I've had when having to use the phone on speaker, plus my battery life is slightly longer than before. I'm pretty happy with it.
Can any AT&T store do that? Mine fails at 32% every time, too. I'd like to have it updated before trying to sell it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome