S5 with Lollipop: fully charged notifications. Can they be turned off?

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I take comfort at night knowing that Google is worried enough about the few watts of power wasted by a charging phone that it has to warn us incessantly about it with no option to turn it off.

Laus Sorensen

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
A question to the people experiencing this problem:

Did your phone auto-update, or did you update it yourself using one of the packages available here?
I did the latter - but I just heard that if I go back to my original firmware, my phone will probably auto-update in a day or two. And if that solved the problem, I'd choose that road...

Dusty_on_Vly

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
"Did your phone auto-update, or did you update it yourself using one of the packages available here?"
I did the official OTA update offered by Samsung. I checked for the update on my phone, and when it was available, I proceeded with the 2-file update Samsung offered. So, unfortunately, the "official" version won't save you from this problem

PUBand

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mine too! I did the two-step OTA update, put up with a lethargic, crappy phone for a couple of days (CPU running at 98-100%), then did a factory data reset and am mostly happy again.
I was using Alarm Clock Plus, along with Automagic Premium. My script in Automagic would trigger on plugging in the charger. If the time is between 11:00pm and 6:00am, and I am at home, it turns off bluetooth, silences all sounds, sets the vibrate on ring to off, then launched Alarm Clock Plus. For some reason Alarm Clock Plus won't work now (alarm doesn't go off) and the developer stopped updates last year. One extra step I had to take was to push down volume once to turn off the vibrate for notifications. I found that incoming texts would wake me up with the buzz. Now, Lollipop won't let me do that last step because the only choice is to set it to No Interruptions (including no alarms)! Also, that stupid Battery Full banner pops up as bright as can be and wakes us up. To explain a little further, with kids in school, I need to know if there is a school delay, so I use Fire Alert 2 with a trigger on SMS messages that looks for their school name and the word closings. That app rocks! I also use that app with a trigger for family numbers so if one of the kids calls me at night, it will alert me. Otherwise they go to voice mail. The reason I had to turn off bluetooth was that if my headset was still on and connected, the Fire Alert 2 sound would play through that instead of the speaker on the phone.

My wish list:
1. Let me silence the phone AND turn off the vibrate
2. Allow me to disable that stupid battery full message

Dusty_on_Vly

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
While I appreciate the existence of this forum, I wonder if anyone who can address this problem (someone at Samsung, for example) has even seen the problem(s)? In my pre-Samsung phone life I had another brand of phone (okay, Motorola), and they sponsored a forum for problems that was actually monitored by their employees. They saw the problems, they responded to the problems, and often provided immediate help or eventual solutions via software upgrades. Is anyone at Samsung even aware of our troubles?

Dusty_on_Vly

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
There is now talk that Android 5.1 is on the way, as early as March for some (I don't have enough posts to be able to post the link to the green bot article). Since I don't have this problem on my Nexus 7 tablet running Android 5.02, I'm hoping it is related just to Android 5.0 and the update will prove out to be the solution.

Dusty_on_Vly

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
According to a recent PC Magazine on-line article, Android 5.1 is ready to roll out. No path was mentioned for upgrading to 5.1, but apparently the various carriers will eventually get around to it. Hopefully this upgrade will solve our problem.

justmecpb

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I can't swear this will work for everyone, but it worked for me. I use a clock app when charging and after the lollipop upgrade I started getting the bright white, woke-me-up-at-3am-battery-fully-charged notifications. My research indicated that these notifications only happen when the phone is active or unlocked. In Kit-Kat, the phone would automatically lock using the clock app after about a minute, but this was not so in Lollipop. So, it occurred to me I might have to manually lock (secure, make-it-need-a-pin-to-use-it) myself. I did this by plugging in the charger, turning on the clock app, manually pressing the power button quickly to make the screen turn off, then pressing it again to make the screen turn on. The clock app was displayed and battery notification never displayed at 100%. Once again, I could sleep through the night.

I hope you find this useful.

edoersch

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I can't swear this will work for everyone, but it worked for me. I use a clock app when charging and after the lollipop upgrade I started getting the bright white, woke-me-up-at-3am-battery-fully-charged notifications. My research indicated that these notifications only happen when the phone is active or unlocked. In Kit-Kat, the phone would automatically lock using the clock app after about a minute, but this was not so in Lollipop. So, it occurred to me I might have to manually lock (secure, make-it-need-a-pin-to-use-it) myself. I did this by plugging in the charger, turning on the clock app, manually pressing the power button quickly to make the screen turn off, then pressing it again to make the screen turn on. The clock app was displayed and battery notification never displayed at 100%. Once again, I could sleep through the night.

YOU are brilliant! The steps I took were just as you described, after creating my PIN screen lock:

1. Plug in the charger.
2. Activate clock/alarm app (I use Smarter Alarm).
3. Press phone lock. Screen goes dark.
4. Press phone lock again, to make the screen come on.
5. Clock is displayed with no absurd notice when charge reaches 100%!

Thanks SO much! You have no idea how much that ridiculously bright notification annoyed me!

bkkperson

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Dear all i sign up to give you and future readers the anwser...

Install App Ops find System UI and turn off permission that says Post Notification, all gone then..

My device is rooted so not sure if App Ops runs on non rooted phones

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
As for the Fully Charged Notification sound and vibration you are receiving, this is not present on the stock Samsung TouchWiz firmware that I am using, (unbranded, UK, OC7 release, 16th March), when my International model, SM-G900F, is connected to the original Samsung Charger that came with my phone. When fully charged the screen does not turn on and there is no sound or vibration. If I turn the screen on, even the swipe away notification has been removed in this release. However, I do believe that using 3rd party chargers, "may", produce a sound and vibration to help prevent against over charging which has caused a number of fires and deaths in the past on various makes of phones.

anicotra

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I believe you are on to something. your post help me solve this issue. I have a stock S5 with Lollipop..

Requiring a PIN to unlock the phone is the key, I think. I was already using Dock Clock Plus as my night clock and didn't have to change any settings in that app. NO MORE BANNER since requiring the PIN.

Note: I don't have to mess around with pressing the power button at all. Simply set the phone in the charger. Dock Plus starts automatically.

Thanks

steve5000

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, wow, "Info, Battery Fully Charged", that just sits there, blocking the top of the screen. I found I could swipe it to the right and it disappered. Then I could then use the phone while connected to a charger at 100% charge. Not sure if that solves to night lighting issue but let me use the phone again in dock mode.

Posted via Android Central App

eusblh

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Within Tasker:
+Event: Power, Battery Full
+Action: Display, System Lock
+Action: Alert, Popup (Title=Tasker, Text=Fully Charged)

I have other settings to disable the sound/vibrate, so that isn't a problem. But the banner partially hides my night clock (and wakes me up with the white light).
I found that locking the screen dismisses the banner.
So, I use "tasker" to automatically lock the screen when Battery Full. But, since that turns off the screen too, I then use tasker to initiate a pop-up notification that turns the screen back on again. The pop-up notification auto-disappears after x seconds. Another Android setting controls whether screens turn on when notifications are recieved.

Other Settings:
In Android "Settings", "Sound and notification", "While locked": select "Show all content", or "Hide sensitive content", as long as NOT selected: "Do not show notifications".

I use "Night Clock" to show a clock on my phone all night long. I'm sure other clocks and displays can be used.
In the "Night Clock" settings, I have checked "Bypass Lock Screen". This makes sure the clock displays all night, even when locked.

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
When I'm listening to music at work with my phone plugged in, I really don't want something popping up every 3 minutes interrupting me that's a fairly pointless notification over and over and over.

fizdog

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know this is old and I myself have this issue but on a note 3 and I want to clear things up a bit..the reason you guys with a nexus 7 that don't have this issue is because it's a Samsung thing not a Google thing. I've had this issue since my sgs3 and previously an xposed module would of worked but it doesn't work on lollipop (yes xposed now works for TouchWiz roms)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I know this is old and I myself have this issue but on a note 3 and I want to clear things up a bit..the reason you guys with a nexus 7 that don't have this issue is because it's a Samsung thing not a Google thing. I've had this issue since my sgs3 and previously an xposed module would of worked but it doesn't work on lollipop (yes xposed now works for TouchWiz roms)

Samsung fixed this in a Lollipop release months ago, see post #31. Anyone still experiencing this problem will be running firmwares based on much older Lollipop releases.

jimmyj352

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Samsung fixed this in a Lollipop release months ago, see post #31. Anyone still experiencing this problem will be running firmwares based on much older Lollipop releases.

ironass, that may be true, but if so, this might be a carrier issue. I have a Verizon S5, which is running 5.0 which gives the stupid notification. I am rooted, but have not changed the ROM. I factory reset it recently and the problem still occurs. My wife just got an S5 as well and she also gets the notification... and the noise. So maybe the carriers are the ones that jacked this up?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc