"Interruptions" replaces "Blocking Mode" on 5.0 -- I don't understand it!?

Double44

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
The problem with that being that favorites are chosen by default based on who you contact the most, which means for me the various agencies, subordinates etc. that I speak to multiple times on a daily basis show up as favorites and these are not people that I need to have getting through blocking mode.

I know I can adjust favorites, but as I already indicated, the list can be manipulated without your input based solely on how often you speak to someone.
I'm glad you brought this part up, Interruptions is just broken.

sk411

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
This worked! Good call, that interruptions feature sucks, doesn't work, and isn't user friendly. Way to find a workaround for a feature that's still in the phone, just hiding.

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
well thats strange i am on lollipop but i have the 'do not disturb'icon in my notification settings.

btw im on sm900f

Posted via the Android Central App

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have an s5 and upgraded to lollipop and interruptions works just like do not disturb for me. It also doesn't add any favorites for me, it only uses the one I have selected.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Losing blocking mode is the one thing I hate about the Lollipop upgrade. Interruptions is needlessly complicated and yet lacks contact customization. I gave up and bought Night's Keeper. See? TouchWiz isn't all bad.

fismt

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I agree with Brady. I need more flexibility in who's calls I allow through.
OverLord, your're a genius. That app works great. It even saved my "Allowed Contacts" from before the lollipop upgrade.
KJ, keep your non-helpful remarks on Facebook where they belong.

n2s

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Try selecting your contact from the contacts list. Click the star next to the edit pen and it should turn yellow making the contact a favorite. It now shows up as a favorite contact when you select favorites at the top of the screen in contacts.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Try selecting your contact from the contacts list. Click the star next to the edit pen and it should turn yellow making the contact a favorite. It now shows up as a favorite contact when you select favorites at the top of the screen in contacts.

As n2s states above, make the callers that you want to exclude from being blocked, your Favourite contacts. Then go to...

Settings > Sounds and notifcations > Do not disturb > Allow exceptions > Calls (check it) > Calls and/or messages from > then select Favourite contacts only... from the menu. See screenshot...

Coady Sub

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
After a discussion with Samsung tech support/customer service, I was informed that the "BLOCKING MODE" was REMOVED by the LOLLIPOP update. the Samsung tech support/customer service rep told me he would document/report the importance of this issue, and that we (THIS FORUM) should flood Samsung with calls (800) 726-7864/emails/concerns for the "BLOCKING MODE" to return with the next update.

resetting back to KITKAT is not a good idea for the device.

BigBird65

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks ironass. Looks like the blocking mode functionality is still with us in Lollipop as you described in post #32. I'm an AT&T customer and just upgraded. I really used blocking mode a lot in Kitkat.

Elliott Smith2

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Blocking mode is still on your phone. You just need to access it. The awsome post by OverLordOfYou explains how to find it. Just click the link in post #18, download, open, search "blocking mode", create shortcut. Its really that easy. You have your original blocking mode back. This interuptions thing sucks.

Diego Galeano

May 4, 2015
Visit site
i just upgraded my Galaxy S4 to 5.0.1 and the first thing missing is blocking mode.
I tried the shortcut thing as described by post #18 by but there is no way to create the shortcut
I'm glad some of you found a fix, but for me it did not work.
Screenshot_2015-05-04-10-39-05.jpg

guyinthai

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. On note 3, there is no "Blocking Mode" found when using the search in Quick shortcut maker. It simply returns "not found."

I upgraded 3 days ago and haven't slept for 2 nights because I didn't realize that I was being awakened by random alerts in the night. Well, I finally caught it at 2 am today. I went into Interruptions and hope that this will stop it. I simply don't want to be bothered while I'm sleeping. That shouldn't be so hard.