Everyone says Lollipop for S5 has Smart Lock, but where the hell is it?

randomized

May 31, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the features that I was looking forward to the most, and I do not see it. There's absolutely NOTHING in the "Settings" menu for me that refers to Smart Lock. What am I missing here?

randomized

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_2015-02-03-11-10-56.jpg

There's no "Smart Lock" in Advanced. Trusted Agents brings me to a blank page.

EDIT: Now it's in Trusted Agents. WTF? I've gone here like a million times to double check today. I suspect that this has something to do with the Google Play Services error that kept popping up in the notification tray. It's no longer popping up and now it's appearing here. Sigh.

Thanks for your help.

randomized

May 31, 2012
Visit site
It may be in "lock screen" instead of "security"

Thanks for your feedback, Bruce. It was indeed in Trusted Agents; however, it didn't appear in there for the first 15-20 minutes after updating to Lollipop. After this google play services issue resolved itself somehow, it finally appeared there and now it's working.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the Smart Lock feature is controlled by Google Play Services. I know on mine it didn't appear until I downloaded the latest update.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I'll bite.

what is Smart Lock? and why would I want it?

It allows you to pair your device with trusted devices or set a location to where when you're within range of the device or the location, it bypasses your security lock.

I love this feature.. I added my car as a trusted device so that when I'm in my car, I can unlock my phone with just a swipe, no fidging with the lock screen.

Same with locations.. Or, if you have a tectile NFC chip, you can do the same. I have one in my wallet, so when my phone is sitting on my wallet, it bypasses my lock. If I remove the phone from my wallet, it goes back to regular lock screen.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

randomized

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'll bite.

what is Smart Lock? and why would I want it?

It allows you to add a "trusted device" so that you can avoid pin/password/fingerprint to unlock the screen. Pretty much just allows you to swipe to unlock if a trusted device is nearby, such as an Android Wear device. I personally prefer this feature because I really only care about protection if I'm not near my phone. Now if someone robs me and takes my phone + my watch, that's a different story.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
hmmmm, now that can be very useful.

I have used a simple Draw a Pattern lock on my phone from day 1, except for the one time that FoxFi tricked me into entering a security pincode...... that event led me to Factory Reset and I vowed never to have another pincode on a phone... besides, too hard to input a pincode with gloves on your hands while riding on a tractor.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
hmmmm, now that can be very useful.

I have used a simple Draw a Pattern lock on my phone from day 1, except for the one time that FoxFi tricked me into entering a security pincode...... that event led me to Factory Reset and I vowed never to have another pincode on a phone... besides, too hard to input a pincode with gloves on your hands while riding on a tractor.

There's a few companies out there that sell bluetooth keyfobs that work great with this feature such as Motorola and HTC.

Tippmeister

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 161735

There's no "Smart Lock" in Advanced. Trusted Agents brings me to a blank page.

EDIT: Now it's in Trusted Agents. WTF? I've gone here like a million times to double check today. I suspect that this has something to do with the Google Play Services error that kept popping up in the notification tray. It's no longer popping up and now it's appearing here. Sigh.

Thanks for your help.
Yep, you have to click it and turn on Smart Lock, then it will show up under "Advanced." Then you touch Smart Lock and pick a device and/or location.

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Is anybody having issues with Smart Lock not locking the device when it should? I have my Smart Lock configured to only bypass locking the device when connected to my truck's Bluetooth. That works perfectly fine. However, once i get to work and I'm no longer connected to the truck bluetooth, the lock screen still acts as if I were connected to the truck and a swipe of the lockscreen lets me access the phone. I normally use the fingerprint lock method.

I am not using any of the location based settings, only bluetooth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
On my brother's S5 his Smart Lock and Trust Agent are grayed out. Anyone have any idea why this is happening. He already has a pin for his lock screen.