i have a s5 and its battery draining fast and over heating.what should do?

Humna Jawed

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a s5 and it overheats afer 5 minutes usually and battery drain very fast and charge very fast too.even i have an old sd card install and a apk file,do they make this symptoms or is the battery bad?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless the battery is factory defective, an S5 battery isn't old enough to have gone bad unless you do the equivalent of beating it to death with a baseball bat. Even mistreating a battery won't show too many signs for about 6 months.

Take the SD card out (when the phone is turned off) and see if that fixes it. If it does, copy all the files you need from the card to your computer, then boot into recovery and format the card.

If removing the card doesn't fix it, boot into recovery and wipe the system cache. (NOT a factory reset!)

If that doesn't fix it, install GSam Battery Monitor, let the phone run (starting with a fully charged battery) until the battery is down to about 50%, then run GSam and press the thing that looks like a square root sign at the bottom left of the list. That will show you which apps and processes are drawing what percentage of the drain. If that doesn't give you a clue to what's wrong, post back with the names of the first few apps and their percentages.

Anairena

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung makes an app called Vitamins for Samsung, free download from the Play Store. It is very simple to use & comes with quite a few diagnostic tools, you can also clean the cache and/or ram, check for updates, FAQs, Tips & so on.

They also recommend an app called DU Battery Saver, free at Play Store. I didn't have battery problems but the DU app gives the battery a longer cycle.

Good Luck

djsoffar

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem all of a sudden. Plus, I am unable to download any apps and my weather widget doesn't load. The download process never completes. I have GSam and it says android system-31.5%; Kernel-28.9%; T-Mobile My Account-16.9%. Everything else is negligible. I have no idea what to do.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Same here since update. Very annoying. I know if I call stupid Verizon they will just want to send a replacement.

Posted via the Android Central App

Anairena

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes - I have used the Vitamins for Samsung & DU Battery Saver (use both on my phone & tablet) since they were both recommended by a Samsung Tech, employed by Samsung. NO - neither makes changes unless you decide to make the change. It also lincs to Samsung "how to videos", tips &c. The app looks like a notebook. The series of diagnostic tests - doesn't change anything unless you want to. I use it to clean out caches, clean the ram & so on. Lists the strength of wifi, mobil &c

The DU, among many other things - lists apps using a lot of battery (that can be safely shut down on a one time basis).

Bigtymr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I activated auto screen brightness and the overheating and fast battery drain has stopped. I never had it enabled before Lollipop. Was enabled after the update. Remembered that today. So I thought I would see if it made a difference if I activated it again. Voila!

Strange that it would be made default when none of my other settings were changed. Think Samsung knew what they were doing with that.

On Sprint btw.

Posted via the Android Central App

Patokev

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung makes an app called Vitamins for Samsung, free download from the Play Store. It is very simple to use & comes with quite a few diagnostic tools, you can also clean the cache and/or ram, check for updates, FAQs, Tips & so on.

They also recommend an app called DU Battery Saver, free at Play Store. I didn't have battery problems but the DU app gives the battery a longer cycle.

Good Luck

Thanks for those tips. Really appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar