Home button on my S5 and Google Now

alberto2498

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Something I did that may help some is:
First this works only (as far as I know) if you have Nova Launcher installed.
I had created a backup of how I wanted my screens to look like.
I downloaded the backup and restored it.
After that the home button seems to be back to normal!

Jillien Olivia

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Just spoke with AT&T they said it's a mess up from the most recent update.

They did give me a TEMPORARY FIX though.
1. Go to app manager
2. Scroll over to 'all'
3. Scroll down and click on Google (white box with blue G)
4. select 'turn off'

Google search will disappear from the phone but chrome will still work just fine. When you press the home button you can still feel the phone attempting to open Google (like you long pressed the home button). But it won't open because it is basically disabled.

I don't use Google search anyways so this temporary fix will work fine for me until they come out with a new update.

Posted via the Android Central App

dChild21

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Same issue. Restarting works for a short period of time. Definitely started happening after AT&T update. So does anyone from att monitor these forums? Anyone tried calling customer support and complaining? My wife has regular S5 and she doesn't have any issues. Seems to only affect the Active.

dChild21

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Same issue. Only seems to affect the Active. My wife has regular S5 and she has no issues. Definitely started happening after att update. Has anyone tried calling AT&T??

Howard Benson

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

1. Go to app manager
2. Scroll over to 'all'
4. select 'turn off'

Google search will disappear from the phone but chrome will still work just fine. When you press the home button you can still feel the phone attempting to open Google (like you long pressed the home button). But it won't open because it is basically disabled.

I don't use Google search anyways so this temporary fix will work fine for me until they come out with a new update.

This works. And I think the phone is faster now. Thank you!

hhowerton

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey everybody, this is my first post on the forum.

On my galaxy S5 recently, over half of the time that I want to go home, and i hit the button, it just takes my to google now instead. Is there a way to change this setting?

Thanks

I HAVE AN ANSWER! I have been looking for a way to remove the long press google search since the update to the S5 by AT&T. I just figured it out! I opened up my "all apps" screen, long pressed on the blue "Google App", dragged it to Uninstaller (trash bin) that appears at the top of the screen, it gave a warning that all data etc would be deleted blah blah blah, i chose "ok" and it said it was reverting it back to factory version since it was a preloaded app and voila! ! I'm so excited! ....

Hope this helps everyone!

Molly Casey

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
happening to me since the upgrade and omg so so annoying!!!! Thank you for the thread, the restart fixed it for now. Between that and the smart switch network bug I'm ready to trade this phone in!

Nailah Sullivan

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Same issue. Restarting works for a short period of time. Definitely started happening after AT&T update. So does anyone from att monitor these forums? Anyone tried calling customer support and complaining? My wife has regular S5 and she doesn't have any issues. Seems to only affect the Active.

1. Go to app manager
2. Scroll over to 'all'
4. select 'turn off'

thank GOD this actually worked!!!!!! I was starting to think the people on eBay sold me a ****ed up phone lol but yes everyone here's the solution^^^^^^^^^

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree with everyone on this thread...I was ready to throw this phone out the window. Anyway, I just went in and uninstalled the updates vs. uninstalling the app. I seems to have worked. The phone reset worked for a few days but I was starting to lose my patience again. Hopefully they will find a solution soon.
Also, I have a regular S5 (not active) and I run Nova Launcher.

Jpinter95

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
BUMP

Same thing happening to me....I disabled google now but it doesn't actually help. Now upon pressing the home button it just delays or stays on the page or app that is currently open. Hopefully someone will have an answer soon

I did the same! I thought something was seriously wrong with my phone till I remembered that I had the google issue.

missytay0207

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree! It looks like everyone is having the same issues with samsung galaxy 5 on att because I know several other people who have the same exact phone as me but they are on different carriers and are saying they have no issues with it. I'm ready to throw my phone at the wall that's how annoying this issue is.