Lollipop/Does the Good Out Weigh the Bad?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been out of the country for the last week. Came back to all this chatter about Lollipop. I checked for updates on my phone and see that it's available for my Verizon S5. I declined the update. Do the pros out weigh the cons (yet)?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been out of the country for the last week. Came back to all this chatter about Lollipop. I checked for updates on my phone and see that it's available for my Verizon S5. I declined the update. Do the pros out weigh the cons (yet)?

I don't have lollipop yet, but just by reading here in the forums there seems to be a lot of issues with the verizon update.

Posted via the Android Central App

redhdgirl417

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I updated last night and have had zero issues. In fact I'm liking it. On Sprint....seems like most of the naysayers are on Verizon from what I'm reading.

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

Im on verizon. Amazed with the battery life being longer and iy is snappier also. I love the animations as well

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon. There is no compelling reason to upgrade. It's not like there are any cool new must-have features. But there are many reasons to avoid it. It's a step back in my opinion. The little things like the too-dim auto dim, lag lag lag, and removal of mute from the power button long press have been annoying the heck out of me. Idiotic changes done only for the sake of change is how I'd describe it.

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Lollipop update is good on Non branded, But Branded handsets are having issues and its the Blotware that is causing the issues

TitoRoE

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

There are 2 Updates...its ok to download the 1st one...which will keep you on 4.4.4....the 2nd will update you to 5.0...you can hold off on that if you wish...I updated to 5.0...and a little issue with battery...cleaned out cache and waited a few days...it started getting better...But in the end...I still did FR...Aside from being way too much white...I'm liking my phone...

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The Sprint update rocks!! :)
Verizon's, not so much....
As said above it may be due to the bloat/ect, its kinda built into Verizon's 2 part update where Sprint was just the usual ota nothing special (like download and install this first update and then download install this second update crap). Some Verizon users report things going well but as we all know they are few and far between - it's the people with problems that post the Most on the forums...

I'd pass till Verizon sorts its mess out....

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and I love the update. The problem probably is that these people need to factory reset. I had overheating problems at first. I reset and now it runs amazingly. Battery life has also been great since updating. uploadfromtaptalk1423531637943.jpguploadfromtaptalk1423531654360.jpg

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
That's kinda what I thought. I always take a step back and watch those that jump head first into a new OS/software version. It's more often than not, NOT a pretty sight :eek:
I'm not having any issues so like they say in the Army, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)
Can't complain about my battery life. My norm is almost 2 days on a charge. So I guess I'll just stay where I am (4.4.4)
I checked for updates the other day and declined. I got a message that the update wouldn't be installed and (I think) it said it wouldn't ask again??? If I wanted to install the update, I would
need to check for updates again.
Thanks everyone.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Just an update, my battery life has been worse with Lollipop, but today it inexplicably took a nose dive. Burned through 50% by lunch with barely any use, and lag is worse than ever. Stock email client is almost unusable. Facebook crashed.

What a miserable POS the Verizon Lollipop S5 is. I'm tempted to go into the Verizon store and demand an exchange for an un-updated phone. I'm not going to put up with this for the next year of my contract, I'll take Sprint up on their buyout offer before I do that.

sgolbitz

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon as well, and have a Galaxy S5 running Lollipop 5.0. I have one question : what animation are you referring too? I haven't noticed any difference in screen animation.
Thanks.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I can't think of 1 good thing about Lollipoop. Bigger, slower, notifications are messed up.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Just an update, my battery life has been worse with Lollipop, but today it inexplicably took a nose dive. Burned through 50% by lunch with barely any use, and lag is worse than ever. Stock email client is almost unusable. Facebook crashed.

What a miserable POS the Verizon Lollipop S5 is. I'm tempted to go into the Verizon store and demand an exchange for an un-updated phone. I'm not going to put up with this for the next year of my contract, I'll take Sprint up on their buyout offer before I do that.

That was my yesterday - burned through an extended battery within 8 hours, all kinds of lag, overheating, apps closing randomly. Today it's perfect. Wtf?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
First call to Verizon said "it's not Verizon that pushes the update. It's your phone". She didn't have a clue what I was asking. I thanked her, hung up and called back. Rep checks her S5 simulator to find the settings for it to NOT download updates. She also checked with a senior supervisor. He said that since I've told the the phone that I did not want to update, that it will not ask me or push the update until I go back into check for updates again EVEN IF I HAVE WIFI ENABLED. I asked her if she was 100% positive. She was. Someone else might want to call and verify.
ps...she didn't blame me one bit for not wanting to install Lollipop!