Trying to Upgrade to Lollipop, not Working Out. Help?

marlap2000

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
So I have an SM-900V (Verizon Galaxy S5) and the Verizon Lollipop update came out recently. The phone receives the update via OTA and tells me I can upgrade to Lollipop, but when the phone boots off and goes into its recovery mode updating screen, the status bar doesn't move at all and for maybe 0.5 seconds it shows the little android robot and says update failed and quickly reboots the phone. Then once using the phone again, a message pops up from the OTA utility saying update failed and nothing happened to your phone. Also using Verizon's PC utility, the same error occurs. I came to android central, because I think root is the problem. So if you don't know, Verizon released this update in 2 parts. The first part is an NK7 build and is supposed to prepare the device for the actual update. My phone is currently on that build. I was rooted when updating to this NK7 build in hopes that it will unroot my device and I can easily update to Lollipop afterwards. Turns out that thats the problem. Since I updated, I did a full restore on my phone and got everything wiped, but yet when the phone boots up, there is still the little "Custom" logo that shows up. That means, from my understanding, that the phone is half rooted. I checked for root and it says I don't have it, but when going into the device files, there are still some traces of "SU" which is superuser. I came here for help because I need to know a way to either fully unroot the device, or if I'm wrong, get rid of whatever is causing the "Custom" logo. After a full restore, there are still some signs of root, and I need help. Thanks.
(EDIT): Also the error I get within settings after the update fails is 402

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I can say you are correct in your assumption that you are still partially rooted and that is blocking the update from sticking.
I'll look around & see what the best course of action for you is - if all else fails a FDR my clean things up but let's not go that far just yet ;)

EDIT. You may have to flash the stock firmware to correct your situation.

Last edited:

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky. Not many people here are happy with Lollipoop.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool