Is there circutry in the S5's back cover? I need to drill a hole for antenna port access.

petecadmus

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I am deciding between the note4 and the s5 (or older models if the antenna port on the s5 got flimsy), i have seen neither up close. With this new fandangled wireless charging it sounds like there is now circuitry in the back cover. Is this true? I need to be able to hook up an external antenna, more often than not. The s3 and s4 had plastic back covers and drilling a hole was easy. some covers even had the hole predrilled. Is any of this wireless charging circuitry located above the s5's antenna port? If i drill a 3mm hole above the port what will be the consequences? I really do not need wireless charging, but i do need external antenna port access, so I am ok with loosing that option and would love to find a plain plastic cover without the circuitry (does that exist?).

Many thanks,

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Same as your Note 4 question. Get one without a wireless charging back. Adding the receiver is about the same price - $10.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind... If you drill a hole in the back cover (none have wireless charging out of the box) you will lose the water/dust proofing.

Posted via the Android Central App

petecadmus

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks dadathepanda.
By "none have wireless charging out of the box" are you saying the backs i am seeing online are not the one it will come with. The one it comes with has no circutry? If so that is great news. Yes, i realize drilling a hole adds a hole. But if I only need a cell phone when doing field research and 99% of that field research is out of service, I have no choice but to buy the last phone with an antenna port, even if that antenna port is flimsy and intended only for testing. I wish they had a proper screw in rubber ducky at the top or a big old PL-259. The water proof phones, more so than the water resistant, are tempting since i am a stream ecologist, but right now i need a yagi.

petecadmus

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
indeed, this is what you were saying. Stock it has just a plastic back, the wireless charging is added latter. OK. got it. thanks.

Rukbat, thanks again for this and the other response.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz