Galaxy S5 Overheating and Draining Battery after Lollipop Update

Terry Saul

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I updated my Samsung Galaxy Alpha last night and had the same problems - battery draining at about 1% per minute and the phone getting much hotter than normal.
Tried going through all sorts of options but nothing obvious.
Decided to leave overnight from full charge and see what happened - 8 hours later was on 60% with a battery saver app installed that shuts off all wireless and stops running apps when not in use.
As soon as I started using it again in the morning it got hot again.
Tried enabling the 'Power Saving' option and allowed it to reduce the CPU performance. This immediately reduced the drain and the phone stopped getting hot. Not a great solution but to my surprise when I turned it back off again it did not start getting hot again and battery has only drained a further 15% in the 6 hours since.
Not tried restarting to see if it goes back to getting hot again but looks like a promising possible solution for the Alpha.

brackenmakay

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
If you are doing a factory reset all of thee time it means that there is an underlying issue and you should contact Samsung about it as you may need a replacement.

misha613

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
How do I do a factory reset from an off phone since it is stuck in reboot loop?

Sorry, I have a Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

CL B

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi there forum-- Been reading that backup and factory reset and possibly downgrading to KitKat OS is the answer here. How do I find out which OS I have and if it is Lolipop, How do I downgrade back to KitKat? having overheating/ battery drain issues as well. thanks for any info.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi there forum-- Been reading that backup and factory reset and possibly downgrading to KitKat OS is the answer here. How do I find out which OS I have and if it is Lolipop, How do I downgrade back to KitKat? having overheating/ battery drain issues as well. thanks for any info.

Hello and welcome to Android Central CL B!

Sorry to hear you are having problems. To determine your phone's OS, what it all means and how to download and flash firmware, see 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

I would advise against downgrading your firmware as you will not get the latest bug and security fixes and your phone could be at risk. A Factory Data Reset might be a better idea and this is described in post #2 of S5 Update Problems - Dummies Guide. Before the Factory Data Reset I would suggest wiping the phone's cache partition as per #1.3 of the guideand see if that helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney