AT&T Lollipop

aspiller1998

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone happen to know if att s5 lollipop update will be 5.0.2 or 5.0.1, or just plain 5.0 since they're taking so long on the update. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone happen to know if att s5 lollipop update will be 5.0.2 or 5.0.1, or just plain 5.0 since they're taking so long on the update. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App
I don't think we have any indication as to what 5.x.x version it will be. Keep an eye on the AC front page for more information.

Dong Mei Liu

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Well I for one Looking to get that Update soon!
Or I am thinking that JUST MAYBE! that Deal with APPLE IS NOW looking real good!
And as they will give you one! for SWAPING! MY S5

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Well I for one Looking to get that Update soon!
Or I am thinking that JUST MAYBE! that Deal with APPLE IS NOW looking real good!
And as they will give you one! for SWAPING! MY S5

Thats what I did, and must say I'm not disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ouch, just realized my wife's s5 on att is still on kit kat. This is concerning. Really wish Samsung sold its phones factory unlocked. My next phone will be the s6 and being a current nexus5 user, I've become accustomed to being on the latest versions. The swith back to galaxy is gonna be painful but the 2k display and way better camera are gonna be worth it.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Ouch, just realized my wife's s5 on att is still on kit kat. This is concerning. Really wish Samsung sold its phones factory unlocked. My next phone will be the s6 and being a current nexus5 user, I've become accustomed to being on the latest versions. The swith back to galaxy is gonna be painful but the 2k display and way better camera are gonna be worth it.

Samsung does not lock their phones, your carrier does. See, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I know, what I should have said is I wish Samsung sold unlocked phones.

Samsung do sell unlocked and un-carrier branded phones in virtually every country in the world, including Russia and China, but not in the USA, Canada, Mexico or Korea. In Europe, for instance, we can walk into a mobile phone shop, choose our unlocked and unbranded phone and then select any which carrier we wish to sign up with. These phones are updated by Samsung, directly, on a very regular basis and with no recourse to a carrier. It also means that there is very little incentive for carriers to heavily modify or load on bloatware where unbranded phones are freely available. Even carriers do not bother, in some cases, to lock their branded phones these days.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Paid like 650.00 for my Samsung S5 last April. It should be unlocked.
I can not get Lollipop from AT&T, so what good would it do to have a unlocked phone.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Paid like 650.00 for my Samsung S5 last April. It should be unlocked.
I can not get Lollipop from AT&T, so what good would it do to have a unlocked phone.
When I say unlocked I'm referring to a phone that is not carrier branded. The versions of the s5 that are not carrier branded are already on lollipop. If your s5 is from att you can get it unlocked but it's still carrier branded and you still have to get your updates after your carrier "approves" it. Buying an Un branded phone would allow you to get updates direct from Samsung without waiting for carrier approval and optimization.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
When I say unlocked I'm referring to a phone that is not carrier branded. The versions of the s5 that are not carrier branded are already on lollipop. If your s5 is from att you can get it unlocked but it's still carrier branded and you still have to get your updates after your carrier "approves" it. Buying an Un branded phone would allow you to get updates direct from Samsung without waiting for carrier approval and optimization.

OH!

Don't it have to be either CDMA or GSM?

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I know GSM is what I want because I'm on AT&T. But ain't I now locked onto AT&T cause I'm on GSM?
Sorry for the delayed response... (work wife gym)

I'm not exactly sure what your question is but I'll do the best I can to answer it.

GSM and CDMA are cellular technologies. Neither has anything to do with being locked or unlocked. Being on AT&T and having a GSM phone goes hand in hand as att is a GSM carrier. You can have an unlocked GSM phone on AT&T.

Example: my phone is a nexus5. It is a GSM phone that is unlocked and not carrier branded. When I first bought it I used it on t-mobile. Now I use it on AT&T. Because my phone is unbranded and unlocked I get updates straight from the manufacturer of the phone (Google /LG) and don't have to wait for att or any other carrier to approve the update. Also there is no carrier logo on my phone and no carrier software on it either.

Example 2: my wife's phone is a carrier branded locked galaxy s5. It too is a GSM phone. It has AT&T carrier software as well as all stuff from Samsung. Because her phone is carrier branded updates work differently for her than me. Google updates android then Samsung makes some changes to it. Then sends the update to all unbranded Samsung Galaxy s5 phones. BUT in the case of branded phones the carrier (AT&T in this case) takes the update and sometimes takes months to apply there own changes to it and then pushes the update to all carrier branded att gs5 phones.

Hope this helps.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed response... (work wife gym)

I'm not exactly sure what your question is but I'll do the best I can to answer it.

GSM and CDMA are cellular technologies. Neither has anything to do with being locked or unlocked. Being on AT&T and having a GSM phone goes hand in hand as att is a GSM carrier. You can have an unlocked GSM phone on AT&T.

Example: my phone is a nexus5. It is a GSM phone that is unlocked and not carrier branded. When I first bought it I used it on t-mobile. Now I use it on AT&T. Because my phone is unbranded and unlocked I get updates straight from the manufacturer of the phone (Google /LG) and don't have to wait for att or any other carrier to approve the update. Also there is no carrier logo on my phone and no carrier software on it either.

Example 2: my wife's phone is a carrier branded locked galaxy s5. It too is a GSM phone. It has AT&T carrier software as well as all stuff from Samsung. Because her phone is carrier branded updates work differently for her than me. Google updates android then Samsung makes some changes to it. Then sends the update to all unbranded Samsung Galaxy s5 phones. BUT in the case of branded phones the carrier (AT&T in this case) takes the update and sometimes takes months to apply there own changes to it and then pushes the update to all carrier branded att gs5 phones.

Hope this helps.

I thought if you got your phone on a upgrade it was locked till you got out of the contract.
And if you paid full price for it, it was not locked. But they hook it up to the carrier.

I paid 650.00 for my phone cause I wasn't do for a upgrade.
Is there anyway to see if it is locked.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I thought if you got your phone on a upgrade it was locked till you got out of the contract.
And if you paid full price for it, it was not locked. But they hook it up to the carrier.

I paid 650.00 for my phone cause I wasn't do for a upgrade.
Is there anyway to see if it is locked.
Good question.

If you bought your phone from a carrier and it has a carrier logo on it with carrier software on it its a carrier branded phone and it's locked. I'm not sure what att rules are for unlocking but all you have to do is call customer service and say I need my unlock code. I'm sure there is some criteria and in all likelihood you've met it. So they will probably give it to you.

Now your phone is unlocked and this will allow you to use it on another carrier like t-mobile. That's what unlocking does.

Your phone is still carrier branded though. Unless you root it and replace the recovery and Rom you will still be waiting for AT&T to approve updates.

I'm assuming you paid full price for your phone from AT&T. If not and you paid full price for a gs5 that is not carrier branded then it's probably unlocked and you should be getting updates from Samsung and not AT&T.