Saving battery by going back to the mobile Web!

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My question is why aren't more people doing this? Makes perfect sense like the cloud. Instead of using all your hard drive space, you backup important stuff to the cloud and keep basic necessities on your hard drive right?

Same premise to save on resources by reducing apps and synced accounts that use your battery even when your not using them. This is achieved by reducing apps and using your excellent mobile chrome browser. I've recently taken Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Yahoo, AOL, and Xfiniti emails; and all of my shopping apps (eBay, AliExpress, Amazon and others off of my GS5. Then I went on my chrome browser: went to the mobile sites of all of those companies, favorited the sites, logged into my accounts and created a shortcut to the mobile site on my home screen which works very similar to the apps without draining my battery or hogging space on my hard drive. This has almost doubled my battery life and my phone has more hard drive space for apps (if I need it) and it runs effortlessly, buttery smooth. So we'll in fact that I may even hold off on that beautiful GS6 that was just announced!

Posted via the Android Central App on my Galaxy S5

abackholm

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
The other option (for the battery drain) could be to "restrict background data" from Settings > Connections > Data Usage. That has the same downside as using a browser, though, which is that push messages (such as new FB messages, Skype calls etc) don't come through, but it may be completely acceptable for some.

Personally, I like those push messages coming through, and have chosen to accept the additional battery drain. Having said that, I've spent a good part of the last couple of years analyzing the background traffic of these apps and finding was to optimize it to get at least some of the battery back, while keeping the push mechanisms working. If you are interested, search for "Open Channel Seven" from Google Play.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay