Low Memory and Can't Uninstall Apps... Related Problem?

ncwitz

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
My daughter's S5 (AT&T, stock) is low on storage... I think about 400-500 Mb free. Two problems that I'm not sure if they are related.

First... Trying to free-up space. First thought was to move pictures from the phone memory to the SD card. Using the "My Files" app I always get a "Failed to Move" error message. Also, in the application manager, unable to move any apps from phone to SD card, even those where is shows the move to SD as an option.

Second.. Can't uninstall an app. When I select uninstall I get the "uninstalling" message but it never finishes.
So... unable to move stuff to SD card and unable to uninstall apps. Any suggestions short of a hard/factory reset? I'm not sure if the phone needs a certain amount of storage for any file operation, whether it be moving files or uninstalling apps. If so, it's a catch-22... can't free up enough space to allow the file operations.

I tried a wipe of the partition cache, but doesn't help.

Thanks for any advise!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You could try to free some space clearing the apps cache (different than wiping the cache partition). Go to settings - storage and tap on cached data. That's temporary since apps fill the cache after some time but maybe it'll give enough space to move files to the SD card.

If you can't do that try to clear individual cache from hungry apps as chrome or Flipboard. You can do that from each app settings. A couple of hundred MB should be enough.