Porting Google voice number

newtda513

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
If I port my Google voice number to my carrier Verizon wireless. I wondering if that would allow me to do group text message? What other benefits would I get from moving the number?

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
You don't port your Google voice number... You want to get a verizon account and have your Google number as your verizon number? I don't think that's possible...

Posted via the Android Central App

dpen15

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Once you port, assuming VZ allows, that number would become a VZ number and should work just like any other VZ number - no difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
There's no real benefit I can think of to porting your Google Voice number to your carrier except one: if you've had GV a long time and most calls are to the GV number so that it's effectively your main number, BUT you're experiencing poor call quality, porting the number to your carrier to improve quality while keeping your most used number makes some sense.

That said, my wife and I have both used Google Voice for years and thousands of calls and never had a problem with quality or reliability. But having 2 phone numbers per phone, basically 1 public and 1 private, plus all the features GV adds and all that for free, has been terrific.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

imlegend84

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it unless you really have to. I've used Google voice for about 2 years now since porting over from AT&T. I have had my number for about 15 years now and since my company provides me unlimited everything through Verizon I'm reaping the benefits. I don't really do group texting. Only use Whatsapp as my main messenger tool if I need to get mms or group messages out.

Posted via the Android Central App