Visit site
Rest stops on Google maps

Is there a way to identify rest stops on Google maps

Posted via the Android Central App

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google maps

The instructions in Google maps that details how to copy a map OFFLINE does not work. Even the instructions to get the version # does not work. I was able to get the following numbers from the app.

Package version 804010124
Package version name 8.4.1
Android version 4.4.4
Samsung Galaxy S5

Please help.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google maps

Thanks for your reply, but the problem is only half solved. Below is part of the solution posted by your link.
To access your offline maps manually, just tap the silhouette of a person on your search bar inside Google Maps. You'll be taken to your information page in the Maps app, and scrolling down to the bottom will bring you to all the maps you've saved. From here, you can open a map, zoom around, and look at it just as if it were a paper map. You can also delete old maps, see how much space each map is taking, as well as initiate the saving of a new map. Notice you're warned that you can't get search or get directions if you're not online. While this is a bummer, there is (mostly) a way around it.

This is the text that should have gone with the earlier post. I don't have the silhouette in the search bar, so I can't go any further. Help.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

That's the instructions in Google maps. I don't have the offline option OFFLINE maps in the menu on the left side of the screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You have to tap on Your Places first in the slideout menu, as directed in that support page. Then you'll see all of your saved places, including your saved offline maps at the bottom of the screen.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Delete offline maps in Google maps

How do you delete offline maps in Google maps

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

Swipe in from the left, tap Your Places, scroll down to Offline Maps, tap "View all and manage," tap the 3 vertical dot menu button next to the map, and tap Delete.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google maps offline

I'm planning a trip to Florida. I will not have access to WiFi. My data allocation is only 250 megabytes. I want to save maps offline before I leave, so I don't need to use data. How do I go about saving maps with the data already on the maps for example Hotels rest stops, etc.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google maps offline

You can view the area you want to save on your phone or mobile device, tap on the search bar but don't type anything. From the menu that opens up, scroll down to the very bottom and you should see the SAVE MAP TO USE OFFLINE option.

Bear in mind that this only saves the portion of the map you're currently viewing, it saves general information (reviews, pictures, comments, etc. are NOT saved), and not all areas can be saved for offline use as some areas and governments have restricted this function.

Also remember that you cannot search for directions or use turn-by-turn navigation while offline.

If you need any of the above features, I'd recommend a different, offline-dedicated options like Maps2Go.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

you should really install HERE map and get offline maps for the state/country you need before going on the trip. It will have all the voice navigation, POI, etc.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

you should really install HERE map and get offline maps for the state/country you need before going on the trip. It will have all the voice navigation, POI, etc.

I looked at HERE maps and not impressed.

This app appears to be better at offline use and navigation. I like that you can specify where to store the maps, ie, on the SD card instead of the main phone's memory. It also has a tremendous amount of personalization available.

You best be connected via WiFi before you start downloading maps, regardless of the brand name app you use. That is a huge amount of data that could possibly cost you a lot of $$$$$

This app has a really good Progress Screen that keeps you updated on what is going on. Unlike a lot of apps that leave you in the dark while things are happening.

* GPS Navigation BE-ON-ROAD - Android Apps on Google Play

EDIT:

This app will be okay IF, and ONLY IF, you happen to be in an area that is included in the OpenSource Maps database.

I live in a very rural area and apparently my home city does not exist yet. Nor do the other cities that I frequent.....

just unloaded it as useless for me... maybe great for you, it is extremely well laid out. Darn shame it has to rely on data from other sources.

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

did some looking around.

This offline map application is a tad bit expensive, BUT if you need detailed help and no signal is available, you can't beat this one.

$4.99 for the Pro version which includes routing features.

The free version works quite well, just won't allow you to use Navigation feature.

i bit off on it and bought it, I really like it. It is FAST, fast, FAST!!!

did I mention it is FAST!!!

I have never, ever, seen a mapping application that is so blazingly fast. I suppose that is because it it totally loaded onto the SD card and the delay in presenting your area is minimal compared to having to constantly download data online.

* MAPS.ME Pro — offline maps - Android Apps on Google Play

This thing has detailed information. I kept zooming in on a local shopping center and it displays the names of the businesses if you get close enough in.

The big box stores? It shows those with a transparent color and also their name. Walmart Supercenter is very visible from the main level of the maps.

The FedEx store, had to zoom in about 5 times to get close enough to it to bring up the name, but the data is there.
IMO well worth the $5.00 that was spent on it.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google maps tutorial

Is there any better resource than Google maps help. I'm trying to delete offline maps.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google maps features

I plan to use Google maps extensively on a cross country trip. I want to avoid data Cost as much as possible. I'm cheap.

Can anyone who is an expert explain when the app uses data. I understand about offline maps but when will the app require a data connection and how much can I use LOCATION without using data.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google maps features

Your biggest use of data is when you use Navigation. Otherwise, once your map is fetched (using data), it relies on the cached images and won;t use very much. Avoid real time turn by turn directions and your data use will be surprisingly light.