Samsung Galaxy S5 - Verizon - Latest Update before Lollipop?

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
See- told ya! ;) lol It makes a huge difference when you do a factory reset. However, in your defense, I spoke with a Samsung rep at Best Buy last night and he showed me a memo from Samsung corporate that stated to tell customers to not upgrade to Lollipop at this time and a new update will be available in a month- to month and a half. I can only assume the issues pop up from doing an upgrade not a factory reset- it is probably unreasonable to tell the every day user to do a factory reset. I do find this strange though as it was always suggested that Verizon does extensive tests before they release updates- you would think they would have figured this out.

Yeah you were right. Sorry about that, dby2011, I need to practice my patience -_- I jumped to conclusions after briefly scrolling through things but now after a day of use, I feel like things might actually be back to normal (minus the data thing)... or even better. It's strange because... well, it's almost like it didn't actually have the update UNTIL I did a factory reset. Everything was pretty much the same (minus some colors in the settings menu). Now it looks and feels very different from 4.4.4. It functions much differently (in a good way). I still desperately miss the ability to change mobile data status via app but... guess I'll just have to live with that for now.

Thank you for you responses, dby2011. Greatly appreciated.

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you DotScott1. I will wait to hear back from you. Some of the problems that other users were having that concerned me most were little things like the home button not working anymore, and the LED light not flashing to indicate new messages, etc. Very basic functionality. I'll be waiting! LOL Thank you again!!! In the meantime, I'll keep dismissing the update messages..................................................................

So... I'm only a day in but after clearing the partition and doing a factory reset (both very easy to perform), everything seems to be working as it should. Still, according to dby2011 and Best Buy, Samsung plans on releasing another update to fix several problems in about a month. So I would just hold off until then! Hope that message doesn't bother you too much until then.

Jacqui Holder

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I will wait as long as I need to. But i'm wondering, since I already downloaded the file (did not install), when the "fix" comes out, will my phone then recognize that there's a few file that should be downloaded before installing the one it's be wanting to install. OR, perhaps when the fix comes out, go ahead an install the one I've already downloaded and them immediately download and install the fix. I'm with you as far as patience go. I should have researched this much more before jumping the gun. I'll know better next time! Oh, another question just popped into my head - since I cleared my cache partition (which someone suggested to do to get rid of the downloaded file) - I wonder if I accept the message to install it, if I'll get an error message or something saying it can't find the file and then abort?!?!? Hmmmmm

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I will wait as long as I need to. But i'm wondering, since I already downloaded the file (did not install), when the "fix" comes out, will my phone then recognize that there's a few file that should be downloaded before installing the one it's be wanting to install. OR, perhaps when the fix comes out, go ahead an install the one I've already downloaded and them immediately download and install the fix. I'm with you as far as patience go. I should have researched this much more before jumping the gun. I'll know better next time! Oh, another question just popped into my head - since I cleared my cache partition (which someone suggested to do to get rid of the downloaded file) - I wonder if I accept the message to install it, if I'll get an error message or something saying it can't find the file and then abort?!?!? Hmmmmm

From what I've just read, Android pretty much figures out all of this for you so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It should automatically delete or override the existing file (in case you didn't delete it). So again, no worries. I've also dome some research today and yeah, apparently Samsung AND Verizon are both working hard on the problem and plan to come out with an update "soon." So hang in there :)

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I told a friend at work to hold off on the update, and wait until the next one.
I told him I'll keep an eye out here in these forums for if and when it starts rolling out.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mbalkman

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
After Lollipop installed I could not edit emails without the email program locking up and freezing. I complained to Verizon and they gave me a new phone. It has 4.4 on it and I do NOT want to run the risk of the same thing happening. How do I stop the lollipop update notice from popping up every 60 seconds?

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE: Fail... so... I take back what I said... about the factory reset and cleared partition fixing everything. It was working smoothly at first but after a few weeks, it's back to no battery life and acting very sluggish. Sad, I thought that had fixed it. I am now going to re-install Android 4.4.4 following the instructions from the forum link below. I'll let you guys know how it goes but so far, it appears to be working for others.

Tutorial: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...g-galaxy-s5-5-0-4-4-kitkat-5.html#post4315783

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After Lollipop installed I could not edit emails without the email program locking up and freezing. I complained to Verizon and they gave me a new phone. It has 4.4 on it and I do NOT want to run the risk of the same thing happening. How do I stop the lollipop update notice from popping up every 60 seconds?

Heh, I think we would all like to know the answer to that question. Right now, the only way is to root your phone... which to me, is looking better and better.

SamsungS4Fan

May 17, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE 6/12/15: What I wrote below worked but after a month or so, the downloads came without my permission (they no longer gave you the "no thanks" option), and so the update was forced on me. I tried clearing the cache but the download would begin again as soon as I turned on the phone, so apparently Samsung or whoever has decided what's best for all of us--No apparently does not mean no. But I did buy two months!

This is probably too late to help, but here's an option to stop the update "reminders" for lollipop

I went ahead and let them download Lollipop, told it to install at 1AM, then I immediately cleared the cache, (wipe cache partition). That night, I took the battery out before I went to bed, and the next morning, when I started the phone, it asked to install Lollipop. I let it go ahead (install now), and the phone shut down and tried to do an update, reported that there was an error, and then my home screen message said that the update was not successful and no changes were made. After I did this, it's been over a week without any further lollipop "reminders".

It is harmless to your phone, data, personal settings, etc to clear the cache on your phone. Follow these directions:

Turn off phone
Remove the battery and reinsert.
Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys
Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.
You will see small blue writing in the upper left corner. When you see it, release all keys/buttons.
Wait for the system restore menu in yellow to appear and a little robot lying on it's back
Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to "Wipe Cache Partition."
Press the Power button to select it.
Wait for a few seconds for the phone to clear the data.
Then press the Power button to select "reboot system now." (preselected option)
Wait for your phone to reboot.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463