Can a Samsung Kies 3 restore S3 data to S5?

A

AC Question

Can Samsung Kies 3 "restore" S3 data to S5

Hello,

so my dear old S3 has been dying on me for the past couple of days (tech support says it's a faulty IC power chip and that I should just give up on it an buy a new phone :). The phone switched off on its own a couple of days ago and wouldn't turn back on. Since my last backup through Kies was >1 ago, I feared most of my new data was lost. I ordered a new S5 and it should be coming in the mail in a couple of days.

Just when I was beginning to accept the horrible reality of loosing most of my data, the old S3 decided to turn back on - a small miracle, I'm sure:) So I quickly downloaded Kies3 and made a backup of everything. But then I started thinking: the backup folder Kies3 created is specifically labeled to the model of my phone (S3 GT-I9300) which got me worried.

Will I be able to use this back-up folder to transfer the backup of my S3 data unto my new S5?

There are more convenient ways of migrating data from S3 to S5 (the switch app etc.) but my new phone isn't here yet and there is no telling how long the old S3 will stay on. I did copy most of the images etc. but the contacts, sms, phone log, apps etc. I can't manually copy (at least I don't know how).

So I'm asking if Kies3 will be able to do a "restore" to my new S5 from this backup folder I created with the S3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can Samsung Kies 3 "restore" S3 data to S5

If it's working for a period, turn Sync on and go to Settings - General - Accounts - Google and also Samsung, touch the account names and make sure all the sync items you want are synced, then Sync. Try to remember your Samsung account log in for when you first start your new phone. The S3 memo/notes are not compatible with the s5.