Why does Chrome open a new tab with about:blank?

Cramer4918

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Chrome opens new tab with about:blank

Ever since updated to Lollipop, Chrome always opens up with a new tab and "about:blank" in the address bar. Not sure if it's coincidence with the update, but it's getting aggravating. Everytime I open Chrome, I have to close the new window to view what I had open previously. Anyone else have this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Problem solved!
UPDATE in post #14

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

Try going to the App Manager, select Chrome, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now try again.

Cramer4918

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
re:

I have done that and it did not work. I even Uninstalled Chrome, restarted my phone, then installed Chrome again. I still get the new window unless I open Chrome from my multi task. I also have 360 Security and performed a virus scan which came back clean. I'm puzzled with this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

Chrome on Samsung allows you to set a homepage, doesn't it? Can you set a homepage and see if that keeps occurring?

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
re:

I had the same issue on kit kat. It would open a blank page. I would press the home button only to be greeted by my lock screen. Would unlock the phone, select the link again and it would open fine. Real annoying. Never found a solution. Im on lollipop now, and am using the 'merge tabs option' in Chrome, and haven't had any issues. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Cramer4918

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
re:

I had the same issue on kit kat. It would open a blank page. I would press the home button only to be greeted by my lock screen. Would unlock the phone, select the link again and it would open fine. Real annoying. Never found a solution. Im on lollipop now, and am using the 'merge tabs option' in Chrome, and haven't had any issues. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

That did not work either. I have not downloaded any new apps since the upgrade. I am running Go Launcher ex, however. I am wondering if it is an issue with that now.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
re:

I can make one other suggestion off the top of my head, try running your phone in safe mode and see if Chrome acts up
Turn on safe mode
Turn the device off.
Press and hold the Power key.
When 'Samsung Galaxy S5' appears on the screen, release the Power key.
Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.

to turn safe mode off just restart your phone. :)

Last edited:

jrclauer

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
re:

I have been having the same issue and am greatly annoyed by it. Tried uninstalling chrome, and all the things you did. I am using KK Launcher, which seems to be what's causing the issue. I tried using my factory Launcher and it doesn't do it. Not a solution, but at least an answer. I was starting to think I had some virus or something.

Andreas Flint

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
re:

I have the same issue! Kk launcher is the problem! But only if you start Chrome from the dock... Put the icon on your desktop instead and the problem is gone. Hope that kk launcher fix the problem soon...

Cramer4918

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
re:

I solved the issue!

Here's what I did...
Cleared cache and data for Go Launcher
Uninstalled theme I was using then reinstalled the same one from Play Store
Set everything back up the same way and no more issues!

I did notice that when I set the same theme I was using initially, the "Chrome" icon was different then the one I was having issues with. Not sure if that was it or not, but either way it solved my problem.

Hope this helps anyone else who is having issues. Thanks to everyone that replied and helped me out.

tommy7154

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I signed up for the forums to answer this question because this problem was annoying me for quite some time.

1. With Chrome open go to the 3 lines menu (below the 'X' that closes your browser)
2. Click on 'Settings'
3. Now look for "On startup" with the 3 options. On the third option there is a link that says 'Set pages'. Click that link.
4. You will have your normal page that opens, but also a completely blank line that represents that about: blank page.
5. You need to hover over the blank area and toward the right there will be an 'X' to click. Click that and you'll no longer load up the "about:blank" page.

Ariel Davis

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Chrome opens new tab with about:blank

Ever since updated to Lollipop, Chrome always opens up with a new tab and "about:blank" in the address bar. Not sure if it's coincidence with the update, but it's getting aggravating. Everytime I open Chrome, I have to close the new window to view what I had open previously. Anyone else have this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Problem solved!
UPDATE in post #14

I had the exact same problem and I'm running Go Launcher. I deleted the short cut icon I had on my dock for the Internet, moved Google Chrome from my app drawer to the dock and everything is working fine. I think go launchers lil theme icon they had was messing it up because now everything is fine. It opens to what I was viewing previously.