Battery life abysmal the past 2 days.. Otterbox??

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I initially had a TON of trouble after the Lollipop update - phone was pretty much useless even after clearing the cache partition and later doing a factory reset. A little over a week ago I did those two things again, only this time went from the cache clear right into the factory reset without booting up between and it made all the difference in the world. My phone had been awesome, until a few days ago. Now the battery drain is dreadful and I frequently get the "Cooling Down" notification because the phone feels like it is burning up. Now when I look at the battery usage, Android System is always the top offender, averaging around 31%. Prior to this it was Screen which was always below 19%. The only different thing is that I have an Otterbox Commuter case on it, received it and put it on 3 days ago.

Could the new Otterbox be 1) causing Android System to be so high in my battery usage, and 2) causing the phone to overheat? And if not the Otterbox, any ideas what else it could be? I have not installed anything nor updated any apps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have n S5, but I doubt that it's not something wrong with the phone. (Check for apps running that shouldn't be.) I've had an Otterbox on my Note 3 for a long time and I charge it wirelessly, which adds heat. And it's never complained about being too hot. (And 96F isn't considered a particularly hot day around here in the summer, so phones don't cool as well as they do when the air is cooler.)

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
So strange! I can't wait to figure this out.. I would love to take mine out of the case to test it but I have dropped it so many times I would rather not..

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had an Otterbox defender on my S5 since August, and never had any problems like what you describe.

Do what was mentioned above and check for apps running background services that shouldn't be. I'm going to assume that you have tried pulling the battery while the phone is still on and restarting it, but if not give that a shot too.

Every now and then I'll have some serious Android System battery drain, and a battery pull always sorts it out.

Posted via the Android Central App

DJJB40

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I've had an Otterbox on a Gal s5 for about a year with no overheating and could get 2 days with no recharge. After Lpop my battery life is half what it was and it is warmer, but not hot. I am working thru the issues but was totally satisfied with my Galaxy before the update. Maybe if I lived in my Mother's basement and had nothing to do but tinker with my phone I would think lollipop was "way cool", but I have a real life. I would never repaint my hammer and my phone is just a tool too.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Every now and then I'll have some serious Android System battery drain, and a battery pull always sorts it out.
Software isn't the only thing that goes rogue. Sometimes something in the hardware goes wacky and a battery pull (known ad a power cycle, regardless of how the computer is powered - Shut Down instead of Restart in Windows, for example) will shut the hardware down, making it start up again - and behave.

I would never repaint my hammer
Especially those colors.

and my phone is just a tool too.
Exactly. Whether it's a computer that can make phone calls, or a phone that can run games, it's a tool. A "new version" for, basically, a paint job, is like taking a car without a scratch in to have it repainted. Why? (And the paint shop put a nail in one tire when they were painting it. 5.0 - 5.0.2 had a memory leak. 4.4.4 didn't, and works just fine. So does 4.4.2 if you don't care about Heartbleed when you're on your phone. And for Amoled screens, LolliFlop costs you in battery unless you replace the launcher [which I can't stand in most phones, anyway].)

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've done the battery pull and it doesn't seem to make a difference. In fact, I've pulled the battery and let it sit for like 15 mins, put it back in and restarted it, and when I click on the recent apps button - there are apps showing.. is this supposed to be happening? I thought all that stuff would clear out. And still Android System is the highest consumer.. I'm really getting frustrated.

Posted via the Android Central App

Skeediddley

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Hello Distant S5 cousin... I am from the Note 4 family. Google brought me here.

I think you are blaming that poor otterbox unfairly. Let me explain....

I too am running Lollipop (the German 5.01 Rom), and I too had great performance until a couple of days ago, when I woke up to find my Note had chewed through my battery overnight. Since then I have disabled everything and wiped everything, culminating in me running entirely in safe mode all day today. Essentially my Note now has the functionality of a NOKIA 8210. This hasnt made any difference and "Android OS" is still happily eating away at my battery. You can read about my adventures here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...insomniac-note-too-many-sugary-lollipops.html

I am assuming that, seeing as it cannot be blamed on any other rogue app (Safe mode takes them all out) and I've disabled everything else, this is a bug that Google has introduced which affects some of us samsungers?

Naturally, we cant be sure, but I definitely wouldnt be tossing out that otter quite yet!

Apologies to S5ers for the gatecrashing. It is nice over here though ;)

kimberlydale79

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Ha! I just went googling this in reverse!

I just took my otter box off on Sunday, and so far my battery life is twice what it has been. I have an S4. It's never had the otter box off and I've always had to recharge before the end of the day, sometimes before lunch. Otter box off, and I'm coming home with still over half my battery. FYI. So you may be on to something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa