What will I lose when I clear the data on my S5 phone app?

A

AC Question

what will I lose when I clear the data on my S5 phone app?

Could I lose my contacts? I am trying to clear my permanently stuck voicemail notification.
On Verizon

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: what will I lose when I clear the data on my S5 phone app?

Could I lose my contacts? I am trying to clear my permanently stuck voicemail notification.
On Verizon
Do you have visual voicemail? If so, go into system settings > applications > sort by all > visual voice mail > clear cache. If you have done that, and it still doesn't erase, dial your voice mail (in most cases it's 1 then call) and make sure all your messages are cleared.

If you need to factory reset everything on the device except the sd card will be erases. So be sure to go into system settings > accounts > Google > contacts > sync. That will backup your contacts. Also be sure to backup text messages and call logs if you need to (there are apps in the Play Store for that).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

If you first back up your contacts (it's in the Contacts app) and save the backup file to a computer, whatever happens you still have the backup file to restore your contacts from. (If they're all Google contacts [they should be - export local contacts to the SIM, then import the contacts on the SIM to your Google account], you can bring back any contacts deleted up to 30 days ago - More/Restore contacts on the Google Contacts site.)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Clearing data in your phone app won't touch your contacts. Don't worry. It will take the voicemail icon away but it'll be back next time you reboot your phone (Power off and on).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae