glass screen protector

Nickolas724

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Can someone please explain the pros and cons of a tempered glass screen protector? Tell me if you have it and if you like it? Also is the zagg one good there is a kiosk at my local mall thinking about getting one, thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have one on and I used to use the cheap plastic ones the glass are better to install and will cracked before your screen does but the best is cleaning there much better to clean sticky fingers
The down side is the finger scanner as the glass can rase above the button

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Agreed with the above ;)
I used plastic screen protectors for years, just lately I figured I'd give a glass screen protector a try on my S5.
The difference is night & day. I'll not be going back to plastic anytime soon :)
I like how it rises above the home button. it eliminates the problem of the home button being pressed in my pocket easily and turning the phone on and pocket dialing everyone or opening several apps.

Last edited:

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
The glass protector is great. You can not even tell there is a protector on it if you put it on right. I have a Tech Armor from Amazon about $10 with free lifetime replacement. I have used them before and they sent me replacements free without any problems.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been using one since I got my S5. I was hesitant at first but now I'd never go back.

The one downside is if you ever have to send / replace your phone, the tempered glass goes with it.

Mal Lignant Tumor

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I initially used a ZAGG glass protector, but it seemed to smudge very easily. I ordered and installed an ARMORSUIT MILITARY GLASS protector and couldn't be happier.

Glass protectors DO NOT have to remain on the device if you have to send the device in for repair. Remove it and get a new one under warranty.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A tempered glass protector will take more shock than the glass on the screen, and will absorb a little shock if it shatters. But it's still not hard enough to withstand carbide particles (produced by fire, so the atmosphere is full of them), let alone something as hard as diamond. They're scratch-resistant, and more than Gorilla glass (Gorilla glass is about 6.7, tempered glass is 8, carbide is 9 and diamond, which defines the scale, is 10), but not scratchproof.

Do they work? Yes. Does an Otterbox Defender protect the screen from scratching and dropping? Yes, and better, since the rest of the phone is also protected against shock. (Some people claim that the screen is less sensitive in a Defender case - I've never noticed that. ) The downside is the price - 5 times the price of a tempered glass protector. (Then again, how do you know that the glass protector you get is really tempered, not just hard glass?)

The other problem with tempered glass is metal. If metal comes in contact with the edges, you'll see why tempered glass is safe - it crumbles into little squares that won't slice you up.

MaxPower203

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I use the Zagg Invisible Shield and I love it. Horribly expensive but worth it. I've used a cheaper plastic one but it collected fingerprints so easily. The Zagg seems to resist them more, I guess.

rayme16

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a Zagg, feels much smoother to slide my finger across than the original screen glass. I find it nicer to use. Resists smudges more.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The nice thing about tempered glass is that not only does it protect your screen but it feels just like the screen itself. You lose nothing but gain protection. Peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech