How can I get my S5 to turn on?

A

AC Question

Can't get an s5 to turn on.

Hey androidcentral I've got a doozy here. My family just got smartphones for the first time and we've mostly been doing well with them but last night my mom's phone started giving her trouble. She's got a white Samsung s5 and our carrier is verizon. We meant to get around to rooting the phones but haven't gotten the chance yet.
So she was sitting on the couch with a blanket and her phone on top of the blanket playing candy crush as she does, and suddenly her phone shut off, and gave her the android on his back. I went and took the battery out and put it back in and got it to turn on like regular, and it seemed fine, so I assumed it was an overheating issue or something. When I turned it on I noticed she was still running 4.4.4, so I went to update her to 5.0. I downleoded the pre-5.0 preparation update, which installed without issue, then I downloaded the 5.0 update itself and had that running. At that point I headed out with some friends and left the phone with her and told her not to touch it.
When I got up this morning she told me her phone kept restarting like when it overheated, so I started to see what I could fix again. I took out the battery and put it back in and attempted to turn it on, with no luck. I tried charging the phone, but it wouldn't charge from a wall socket with the standard s5 charger. I went and swapped out my battery for her battery, to see if that would help anything, but I had the same luck there. I decided to try accessing the factory reset because at that point it seemed like the only option available, but for some reason I can only access a "maintenance menu" by holding the power button, which allows for standard reset, factory reset, and safe mode, none of which have actually worked. When I hold volume up + home + power it still goes to this maintenance menu instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is really stumping me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't get an s5 to turn on.

Welcome to Android Central! Are you following these steps to get to the Recovery Menu? http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10404

Ultimately, you may just want to bring the phone back to your carrier and show them what their update did to the phone. Ask them what they can do about it, since it was their update that is causing problems.