Why is my S5 battery draining so quickly?

AlArgos

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
My just bought Samsung galaxy s5 battery drain quickly

I have purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5 from the store. I open it and I begin by charging it for the first time, but without turning it on. The battery was 61%, so I waited until 100%. After that, I turned on the phone and proceeded to set it up. The version of Android was 5.0 Lollipop (I don't know how this is possible as I thought I need to update it myself from 4.4.2 to 5.0).

While I was entering in the information for the first time, the battery suddenly fell from 100% to 95% in just 5 to 10 minutes, during the first steps where I had to create a Google account and set up my phone options.

I heard rumors that 5.0 Lollipop drains the battery quickly so I downgraded to 4.4.2 KitKat with the hope that it'll fix the battery problem. I downgraded successfully without error.

I have the same problem—the interesting thing is that I didn't download more than 5 apps. I only have Skype, Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, Viber and Instagram. All the other apps are from the phone itself.

Whenever I go to WhatsApp to check messages or chat (or anywhere else), the battery falls 1% after 3 minutes. All of the NFC options, location options and other unnecessary options are turned off. The brightness is also on low. In 15 minutes of use I notice that the battery falls from 80% to 65% or 60%.

I have already done a factory reset twice, while I was downgrading to KitKat 4.4.2.

I'm a new user of a Samsung Galaxy S5. Is this normal or abnormal? What is the problem and how can I resolve it?

Also i'll give a picture for the battery statistic in my phone (maybe you'll able to tell me what is it)
The phone is new , MAYBE IS NORMAL THE BATTERY TO DRAIN SO MUCH I DON'T KNOW THATS WHY I ASK FOR HELP

Screenshot_2015-04-02-23-28-07.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-03-00-27-48.jpg

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
if its still under warranty ask for a exchange

Posted via the Android Central App

edit:also heard that you gotta charge 8 hours for the first charge

AlArgos

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: My just bought Samsung galaxy s5 battery drain quickly

nahh i dont think is the phone, the battery maybe or i dont know maybe is normal i just imaginate :) , i'll simply try the 3500mah battery , i think it wont represent a problem...
Till i buy the battery , i need some suggestions or someone who had the same problem and progress to fix it to tell me some advices..
When i'll buy the 3500mah battery i'll post here did i fix the situation or not , so all other with the same issue now and in future to be shure it is the battery or phone that was representing the battery drain...

AlArgos

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

I SOLVE THE PROBLEM

Actually it was not a "problem" , was a my imagination , because i asked some people with the same phone , they said to me that is normal draining of battery is not a abnormal or qucik draining...

SO IF ANYONE BUY S5 , AND HAVE A IMAGINATIONS THAT HIS BATTERY IS DRAINING QUICKLY, PLEASE FIRST ASK SOMEONE WITH THE SAME PHONE MAKE COMPARATION , BECAUSE IT COULD BE YOUR OWN IMAGINATION...

p.s: I am new user of Galaxy S5, thats why is strange for me , also thats why i asked this brainwashed question :S ...

MeNTaIPaTleNT

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

I typically keep my screen brightness on 50%. When I first got my S5 about a year ago, I would get about 4 hours of screen time on a full charge. As time passed and I installed new apps, the battery would drain quicker. I happened to check my battery usage and noticed my phone was constantly awake even though the screen was off.

After a lot of research I wound up rooting my phone, identifying the apps that was keeping my CPU busy in the background and uninstalling them. I also use greenify to put apps into hibernation when they're not in use. Now I'm back to that 4 hours of screen time on a full charge.

Look into "wake locks" to see if anything is keeping your CPU busy while the phone is not in use. It made a world of difference for me.

AlArgos

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

I typically keep my screen brightness on 50%. When I first got my S5 about a year ago, I would get about 4 hours of screen time on a full charge. As time passed and I installed new apps, the battery would drain quicker. I happened to check my battery usage and noticed my phone was constantly awake even though the screen was off.

After a lot of research I wound up rooting my phone, identifying the apps that was keeping my CPU busy in the background and uninstalling them. I also use greenify to put apps into hibernation when they're not in use. Now I'm back to that 4 hours of screen time on a full charge.

Look into "wake locks" to see if anything is keeping your CPU busy while the phone is not in use. It made a world of difference for me.

Tell me when u charge it to 100% , how long you are able to browse untill the battery falls to 5% or 10% ? (we are talking about browse , chat , instagram, whatsapp apps)
And how to check the wake locks and apps that keeping my CPU busy ?

MeNTaIPaTleNT

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

With a 100% charge, I get roughly 4 hours of screen time with my phone at about 50% brightness.

Check your built in battery monitor in settings. Tap the line graph of the battery meter. It will have notifications for mobile signal, wifi, awake, screen on and charging. It is my understanding that you want the "awake" graph to coincide with the "screen on" graph. If there are more ticks in the awake graph, then something is keeping your phone busy in the background even though your screen is off.

If that is the case, look into "wakelock detector" from the play store. I had to root my device in order for it to work. Wakelock detector lets you see what processes are "waking" the cpu and how often. Then take the appropriate action (uninstall the app, change sync setting, etc.) If it is an app and you want to keep it, check out the app "greenify" from the play store. It works with wake lock detector and you can tell it to hibernate certain apps once your done with them so they don't constantly run in the background.

For what it's worth, my screen brightness is usually at about 50% and my gps location is always off unless I'm using it for directions. My wifi and bluetooth are usually always on.

GefH

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
There is a lot going on in terms of battery but by far the biggest is brightness. After that my early experience on the s5 was that I was doing heaps on it getting it setup and it was doing a lot of work with app and file downloads. It took a few days to revert to a normal level of interaction with my phone and it settled into most days starting at 100% and ending at roughly 40%. Over Easter between photos, games, video and googling stuff I'm finishing the day at 10%.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1