Smart network switch?

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Should I use the advanced Wi-Fi smart network switch setting? Not sure I fully understand what it does after reading description associated with this setting. Any thoughts (pros or cons)? Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App - Verizon S5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I recall a lot of issues with Smart Network Switch when Lollipop rolled out to the S5, so I would keep it off. People were losing wi-fi connections frequently when it was turned on. Maybe they patched it by now, but I can't be sure.

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't use it, and I'm running 4.4.2! It seems to drop the WiFi connection, like it's way too sensitive, and there doesn't seem to be any way adjust what it considers a strong WiFi signal to be! Personally I'd just turn it off and leave it that way...

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I would tend to agree. The Smart Network Switch is the most stupid thing I have seen to date from Samsung. With it on, my VERY STRONG Wifi connection is constantly dropping and reconnecting. Keep it off and pretend it doesn't exist.

Tricia_C53

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
DO NOT use the Smart Network Switch!

I turned it on to see what it would do last month. Three days before the end of the month, I got notification from my provider that I had used up all of my 1GB of data. Now, I have NEVER EVER used more than .5GB in a month since I work from home and my phone usually uses up the wifi there. I called my cell phone provider and they weren't very helpful - they kept saying that I must have had a lot of downloads. It's turned off now and I really caution everyone to leave it off.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: DO NOT use the Smart Network Switch!

I turned it on to see what it would do last month. Three days before the end of the month, I got notification from my provider that I had used up all of my 1GB of data. Now, I have NEVER EVER used more than .5GB in a month since I work from home and my phone usually uses up the wifi there. I called my cell phone provider and they weren't very helpful - they kept saying that I must have had a lot of downloads. It's turned off now and I really caution everyone to leave it off.

Yup, that's because it kept dropping your most likely strong wifi connection, thinking it was weak, and putting you back on data constantly.
I would see notifications that it was constantly RECONNECTING to my wifi while I was at home. And sure enough it was that stupid Smart Network Crap. It seems to do the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do. I agree, turn it off and beware!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy