HP OfficeJet 8620 Touch to Print NFC and the S5

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been a die hard HP printer fan for 20+ yrs, starting with the deskjet 500 series thru the 900 series and then my first AIO 4-5 years ago. It has died a slow death and today I bought the OfficeJet Pro 8620 (Sam's Club version is 8625). It has NFC capability. I've used NFC several times between my S5, my husband's and my mother's. It works just fine. Can't get it to work with the printer's NFC radio. From what I've read on line, it should. I get a "unknown tag type" error after it makes the little connection tone.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have the 8625 & also get the "unknown tag type" error when I attempt to use the NFC.

I read here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ePrint-Print-Apps-Mobile-Printing-and-ePrintCenter/Printing-via-NFC-on-Officejet-Pro-8620-e-with-samsung-Galaxy/td-p/4772071 and also here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460075,00.asp that at the time of it's release, the 8620's NFC feature was only compatible with HP ElitePad 900. :( I haven't found any info stating that it will work, so I guess you've found something that I haven't. Maybe some kind soul will help us out. :D

Each time my software updates, I check hoping that the compatibility has increased to add the S5. Nothing yet....
Bought the printer in October and it has been great.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got the answer :) Broke down and called tech support today. Hopefully during set up you connected your printer with your router. Is the blue light to the left of the screen on? When you touch the wireless icon at the bottom of the screen do you get a wireless summary that shows your printer has an IP address, network name, etc? Mine was all set like it should be. You also need to install the app HP e-print from the play store. I had done that as well, but still couldn't get it to work. Here's where I messed up. You have to use the HP e-print app. Click on Photos, files or Web, pull up what you want to send to the printer, THEN bring your phone to the NFC icon on the front of the printer.
ps...forgot to mention, and I'm sure you already know this, but wifi has to be enabled on your phone.

Screenshot_2015-04-13-23-45-19.jpg

Last edited:

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow, nice job! Thanks for finding the answer & sharing all the info! :D

My network is okay, as other wireless hardware prints, so I'll play with the HP e-print app a little more.
I've been updating the HP Print Service Plugin, but haven't been in the e-print app for a while.
That's probably where my misstep is. Also, thanks for the wifi reminder, I tend to leave it off, cause I've been avoiding Lollypop.

Thanks again for the info. I thought it was strange that HP would include NFC with such limited compatibility.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterpig