Spell check won't turn off

pall3010

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Spell check randomly (or at least randomly to me) started working on my samsung galaxy s5. It's not auto correct or word prediction: it's the red lines under words I write incorrectly/in foreign languages.

I'm always texting in multiple languages, and I'm honestly terrible at typing so my texts are always full of typos and I'm ok with that, I would rather not spend triple the time it takes to write a mistake free text (I text a lot). The result of this is nearly every single word in the text box has that annoying red underline.

I tried googling the answer and dug around my settings but I'm stumped. I have this problem in every keyboard, I normally use google keyboard but I tried switching to the default samsung keyboard or to touchpal and all of their text boxes have the same spell check. How to disable predictive texting and auto correct has been answered a million times but I can't find anything on a rogue spellcheck across all keyboards.

This seems silly, but red lines under everything I type is driving me absolutely insane. Android version is 5.0.

I appreciate the help.

dennismm

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I am on an LG G3 running Lollipop and have same issue.

Changed from stock SMS app to Hangouts - no change / same behavior

The spell check is embarrassingly bad as well - Google should be ashamed

:(:(

xjcdi

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I had the same problem, I'm typing everything in a foreign language and spell checker was underlining everything that wasn't in english, really annoying.

Check if you have Google Keyboard installed in Play Store. This keyboard somehow done all the spell checking despite the fact that I couldn't find it in settings, I wasn't even aware I had it installed. After uninstalling Google Keyboard spell checking turned off.

Liberty42

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Ever since the last (massive) update, EVERY SINGLE WORD I TYPE is underscored in red with the exception of "the" "in" "of" "and" etc. Even "is" is flagged as a spelling error.

The most annoying thing is my LOCK SCREEN. I have a photo of 2 pets on my lock screen with their names spelled out, and both of their names are underscored in red.

Here's my question:

》》 HOW DO I ADD WORDS TO THE DICTIONARY? 《《

It's WRONG that common English words are underscored as errors, so I can only assume there will be a fix. But I will still need to add my pets' names to the dictionary.

Incidentally, almost every single word in this post is underscored as a spelling error.

THANK YOU for your answers.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-05-12-25-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-05-12-25-23.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 3