Why won't my Samsung Galaxy S5 S Voice read out text messages anymore?

A

AC Question

Samsung Galaxy S5 S Voice wont read out text messages anymore

Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900W8) running Android version 5.0 and ever since the release of version 5.0 my S Voice has not functioned correctly. My biggest annoyance is the fact when I have my Bluetooth on, and I get a text message (or multiple) it will say I have a new text message, it either just wont read out the new message (saying I have no text messages to read) or if I get multiple text messages it won't give me the option to read the next message.

Also the new womans' voice is SUPER annoying, can I change it back to the voice in the previous version?

Before the update to 5.0 S Voice worked flawlessly for me and it was my favorite thing, so I would really like to get this sorted out.

Thanks,
Brian

Wolfer14

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 S Voice wont read out text messages anymore

Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900W8) running Android version 5.0 and ever since the release of version 5.0 my S Voice has not functioned correctly. My biggest annoyance is the fact when I have my Bluetooth on, and I get a text message (or multiple) it will say I have a new text message, it either just wont read out the new message (saying I have no text messages to read) or if I get multiple text messages it won't give me the option to read the next message.

Also the new womans' voice is SUPER annoying, can I change it back to the voice in the previous version?

Before the update to 5.0 S Voice worked flawlessly for me and it was my favorite thing, so I would really like to get this sorted out.

Thanks,
Brian

Feel you pain...been searching for a fix or replacement. I used my S5 last summer on my motorcycle and could do everything via my cardio headset. Now since lolipop I can't get the stupid thing to even read out a new msg. So frustrated.
these developers need to put on their big boy pants/smart cap and think. a lot of us would like to use our phones without any interaction. I don't want to rely on seeing my phone or touching it. With today's driving laws and fines it should be hands and eyes free.

Nic Hendrickx

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Any one find a fix for this? This is enough to send me to the dark side (apple). Really loved the s5 before. Not so much now.
Can I uninstall the update?

Kris Tyler

May 22, 2015
Visit site

I have the same issues. You can change the voice you hear on the settings (you'll have to dig around ). I'm looking for either a fix or a way to roll back. This is useless on a motorcycle.

jennifer94526

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I just spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with Samsung tech support and an hour with ATT yesterday. No answers. The tech suggested I take my phone to the nearest Best Buy so they can perform a "reflash" of the update in case something didn't install correctly. I'm not optimistic but I will try. I don't see why they would make that option obsolete. Frustrating.

amp7588

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

I have the problem on my S5 that i couldn't get S voice, Bluetooth or even hands free to read my messages. I also lock my screen and in my message settings I said not to show messages on locked screen. I found that if I allow messages to show on the locked screen, my messages will now be read to me in the expected fashion. Go to Settings, scroll to the bottom to Applications and select Messages. Scroll down to Notifications and put a check-mark on Preview Message. This will allow the messages to be seen on the lock screen. It goes against my privacy desires, but I need to be able to read and reply to messages while using Bluetooth on my motorcycle.

TB222

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks amp7588... I'll give that a try. Looks like one more thing I can add to the reasons I hate the way the notifications have been changed in Lollipop. Grrr why should we have to choose privacy (or) function when we could have both before.

TB222

May 18, 2015
Visit site

I tried amp7588 and had no luck no matter what settings I tried.

I use another app for messaging, so set the default back to the stock app (which I would not want to do) and it still would only acknowledge that I had a message. It wouldn't read it to me.

I hate the Car Mode and really don't want to have to use it since it keeps my screen on and I can't disable the media part which I don't want or need to use.

Catherine Price

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I am not exactly sure how - but I was finally able to get mine to speak the texts again
Since my last update - beginning of August - the bluetooth sync to my car would not read the texts outloud anymore. (It would for my husband S4 when we paired it with the car - but not mine)

I was unable to find any sort of 'car mode' option on the phone and read somewhere that the car mode is automatically turned on and configured when the bluetooth pairing happens.
so, I disconnected and removed completly the pairing of my phone with the car. Then the next time I go in the car - I had it search and pair again from 'scratch'.

I was then able to - from the car menus - find the menu that had a volume for the reading of messages and turn in up (actually on as it was all the way down)

Hope it helps someone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech