screen goes black but doesn't lock

Stephen Ahmed

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

So sometimes when I press my lock button, the screen will go off but when I wake my phone again, it automatically opens without having to swipe to unlock.

This always happens when I have Google search open but also intermittently at other times.

When it fails to lock correctly, it sounds as if the lock "chime" is cut off abruptly rather than fading out as it should.

Samsung replaced the board inside but this did not fix it. They then replaced the handset with what seems to be a brand new handset and the problem is still present.

Anyone else having this issue?
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There should be a system setting to select how long the phone should wait after the screen sleeps before the phone locks. On my Nexus 5, it's Settings>Security>Automatically Lock. So for example, if I choose 5 minutes, then the phone won't lock until 5 minutes after the screen has slept. If yours is set to a longer interval, then it might be more noticeable.

Stephen Ahmed

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately this wouldn't help as that setting applies to screen time out rather than me manually pressing the lock button. It's worth mentioning it's can't be a hardware issue as it ALWAYS happens on the Google app but only intermittently elsewhere.

My old phone had been sent away by Samsung twice. First time it came back with the same issue. Second time they sent a replacement. I got the replacement yesterday and it's doing it on this one too.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think the issue is related to the hot word detection of Google Now. If you are in search and have the "ok Google" command enabled the phone won't lock. Disabling that feature should do the trick. The phone is likely staying awake and isn't locking while in app, so you'll have to back out before shutting the screen off.

Stephen Ahmed

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestion.

Since reading this, I played about with those setting including disabling voice detection off completely and it still did it.

This must be a flaw because the chime that plays when you lock it stops abruptly rather than fading out. I just can't understand how it is happening on a totally new handset but nobody else has seemed to have come across it

Brian_Blaire

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
There is an option to lock instantly with power key within the lock screen settings. Do you have this enabled?

Posted via the Samsung Galaxy S5

Stephen Ahmed

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
This is what it was set to and it is what usually happens.

I have uninstalled updates for the Google app and it seems to have fixed it.

Thankyou all for you input

Judz R

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi I have a Samsung Galaxy s5 and i recently started having the same problem. I have mine set to lock automatically but the screen only sleeps it doesn't lock .I tried resetting my phone to factory reset and still have hat problem

Romerokj

Dec 24, 2017
Visit site
I have a cat S40 and mine has done it a few times and this phone is only about 2 weeks old the last time it done it the only app that was open was the alarm clock app and when I swiped the alarm clock app to the right to close it the phone instantly locked and I had to swipe up and enter my code to get back in I think it's a flaw in the system

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech