Strange Wi-Fi issues since lollipop

J Z1

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I have good news. After trying everything short of buying a new router, I finally broke down and rooted my phone, added a script to disable ipv6 whenever it connects to WiFi and lo and behold, all of my issues have vanished. It took a couple hours to muddle through the rooting process but it was well worth the effort! I recommend that approach to anyone else having this problem.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem but my wife's Note 4 is working just fine. We're both on the same Lollipop version. It just started about a week ago.

Posted via the Android Central App

Edwin Nieves2

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Just download the DNSet from Play Store and check auto star on the app This works for me on my WiFi issues. Now I can connect to and get e-mail and notifications on my phone (LG G3).the only thing that I steal having problems is the battery drain . Hope works for you.

davcrag

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I finally figured this one out. Under advanced settings in the router. Enable 20/40 hz coexistence. WiFi has been perfect ever since.

Belinda Petsche

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Just download the DNSet from Play Store and check auto star on the app This works for me on my WiFi issues. Now I can connect to and get e-mail and notifications on my phone (LG G3).the only thing that I steal having problems is the battery drain . Hope works for you.

I can't tell you how unbelievably thankful I am to find this post!!! My home network is the only place I've had issues, and I've come closest ever to maxing out my data for the month... I installed this app and now no issues and my WiFi seems faster than ever!!! (Which could just be my mind, since it hasn't worked in weeks...) Yay!

bigguh

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I have the Note 4 with no wifi issues at home but my wife has big issues for some reason.

Posted via the Android Central App

xtcsx

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
The DNSet app solved my problems too. Only thing is that it didn't work by just installing and turning it on. Once I installed it, I needed to check "Auto start" and then reboot my Verizon Note 3 (Lollipop 5.0) for it to work. After that, I was able to connect to my Comcast Xfinity Wifi like before but now I could actually get webpages to load and my apps could connect and update over Wifi.

The70th

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Davcrag posted: I finally figured this one out. Under advanced settings in the router. Enable 20/40 hz coexistence. WiFi has been perfect ever since.

I say: Strangely, this worked for me too. I downloaded DNSet myself, and that worked as well. But I didn't like the idea of a 3rd party app rerouting all y traffic... This seems to have solved the issue for me - at least for now, all my traffic is back to normal.

tldr: Changed my bandwidth from 20MHz to 20/40MHz and it's working great

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
it's not wifi problem it's phone problem and many like me have this problem with a lot of wifi places to be sure of that i tried my note 5 and note 2 in the same wifi and the note 2 works great...and the note 5 have connexion issues in many wifi networks

Someone said : It's Lollipop. It's a known bug in the software since Nov 2014 and Google hasn't addressed it. I too had issues with my WiFi when I first purchased it. But I found the work around. The bug is in the security software. The WpA2-PSK with TKIPS or AES which is a catch all, reeks havoc on our WiFi chips. It doesn't allow the phone to have proper DNS addresses resulting in severely slow internet or dropped connections.

Solution: Change your security standard to WPA/WPA2-PSK without AES or TKIPS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

alan_george10

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
it's not wifi problem it's phone problem and many like me have this problem with a lot of wifi places to be sure of that i tried my note 5 and note 2 in the same wifi and the note 2 works great...and the note 5 have connexion issues in many wifi networks

Someone said : It's Lollipop. It's a known bug in the software since Nov 2014 and Google hasn't addressed it. I too had issues with my WiFi when I first purchased it. But I found the work around. The bug is in the security software. The WpA2-PSK with TKIPS or AES which is a catch all, reeks havoc on our WiFi chips. It doesn't allow the phone to have proper DNS addresses resulting in severely slow internet or dropped connections.

Solution: Change your security standard to WPA/WPA2-PSK without AES or TKIPS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using XDA Free mobile app

-Thank you. I have been struggling with this for a while and this solution is the most detailed and explains the problem well

SeanJZo

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Try this and let me know...
Wifi settings> advance> then switch off "Network Notification" & "Scanning Always Available". ; )

richcity228

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello friends. I'm new to this forum :) Maybe it's too late to reply to this or wrong section since have the samsung note 5. Anyway, I got the note 5 as i said, I was getting issues where the wifi would take 1minute or so to load the data which is unacceptable when you are on wifi.

What seemed to have worked for me is Settings>Data Usage>Mobile data> Then disabled the option that says "Enhanced 4G LTE services". It would appear that the wifi and that option are fighting each other for the data. Now my wifi is working great!

tomkat101

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Been having this problem since 5.0 came. Comcast 2n1 modem router was not working so I bought the netgear 2n1 N600... Same problem. I happen to have two internet account with Comcast at my house on one account I have a stand alone modem and router and the g2 works perfect. On the other account I have the 2n1 modem and router thing and Wi-Fi does not work at all... Gets connected but no traffic allowed through. I read all the stuff about using DNSet but don't like the idea of passing all my internet traffic to a 3rd party app.

So I got rid of the 2n1 modem router and went to a stand alone modem and router... All is right in the world again. So I'm concluding that the 2n1's that are just coming out have some problem most likely with lollipop. I have ipv6 disabled on both stand alone routers but I also had it disabled on my 2n1. So I'm not sure why it would have to be an ipv6 work around with a 2n1 and not a stand alone. Anyway, that was my fix and I don't get what's different about the 2n1's but anytime I go somewhere and try to use a 2n1 I get no Wi-Fi traffic. Dumb. At least I'm up and running like normal at home now without passing all my internet traffic to some yahoo 3rd party that I don't know! :)

smartguy05

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to mention, if I get lucky with just the right combination of router resets, phone resets, turning WiFi off/on and forgetting the network/re-logging in, the problem will go away until I leave my house. When I come back and my phone reconnects to the WiFi, the problem comes back without fail.

I don't know if this is the solution, but it works for me. I have a Comcast AC/N gateway, I changed from stateful to stateless on IPv6 settings. I don't know what that means, but my wifi is finally working.

mooose

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Could you share the script? I have had selective connectivity problems on Marshmallow and Nougat on my nexus 5.
Works best on the play store,other apps barely work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz