When replacing my S5 16gb card w/64gb, do I need to transfer the memory between the sd cards?

A

AC Question

replacing s5 16gb card w/64gb

Just purchased a 64gb sandisk for my s5, do I need to transfer what is on my 16 to the phone memory and then on to the new 64gb? If you could recommend a you tube video. Thanks in advance.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: replacing s5 16gb card w/64gb

I found a pretty straightforward guide from TomsGuide.com Moving data to a new microsd card on Android smartphone - Micro Sd - Android Smartphones and it is what I would recommend.

....if you drag and drop *everything* it will carry over all of the files including apps and backups.

• phone + old sdcard...plug into the pc with the usb cable
  • enable diskmode/usb mode
  • create a folder on your desktop and drag everything into this folder. hidden files too.
  • disconnect the phone.
  • remove the old sd card
  • put the new sd card in the phone and plug it back in to the usb cable
  • enable disk mode/usb mode again.
  • check that the new sdcard is formatted
  • drag all of the data in the folder to the new sd card.
  • disconnect.

if you have app problems.. just uninstall and reinstall. its not worth worrying about something that will take you 2 minutes to fix.

Its pretty simple to do. But one thing to keep in mind is if you moved any components of any apps to the SD card, move them back to the internal storage first that way all you are moving is the other data. You can move the app components back later.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: replacing s5 16gb card w/64gb

If you buy an adapter than can handle 2 cards at once (Anker makes one for about $9), you can plug one card in, then plug the other card into the adapter that makes it a full size card and plug that in. (Don't reverse the order, or you'll be removing the larger one to get the smaller one in.) Then plug the adapter into the computer, select all (Ctrl-A) on the 16GB card, drag it to the 64GB card and go watch a football game. (It'll take a long time, but not as long as card-to-PC-to-other-card.)

Before you start, if you have any apps moved to the SD card, move them back to the phone. Then when you put the 64GB card in, move them back to the card. Moved apps won't get transferred, leaving you with an icon that won't have an app to run. (Oops - missed that Raptor already covered that.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome