How can I mount two exFat drives on Galaxy S5?

A

AC Question

Can't mount two exFat drives on Galaxy S5

Hi,

Have a strange issue when mounting external USB devices on my Samsung S5. I have:

A. 64 GB PNY thumb drive (Fat32)
B. 500 GB USB HDD (exFat)
C. 64 GB Sony SDXC card (exFat)

and mounting them via cheap non powered 4 port USB hub.

If I mount any of devices separately, no issues. If I mount A and B or A and C together, no issues. Now, if I mount B and C (no matter in which order) as soon as I connect second device I get message that USB device is unmounted successfully and another message straight away that USB device is damaged.

Basically I can't mount two drives if both of them are exFat. If one is Fat32 and another exFat then works fine. Is this a limitation of Android/Samsung?

What I'm trying to achieve is to backup photos from SD card to HDD when I go on holidays in two weeks. Currently I can do this by copying C to A, unmounting C, mounting B and copying from A to B, which is time consuming, I much rather copy C to B directly.

Thanks in advance.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't mount two exFat drives on Galaxy S5

Is this a limitation of Android/Samsung?
It's probably a limit of the driver being used in the S5. There may be apps (the descriptions normally don't say anything about dual exFAT drives) that support your situation, but you'd have to email the developers to find out.

dzebas

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Can't mount two exFat drives on Galaxy S5

Thank you Rukbat, I think you are right.

I don't think third party app can't solve it though as my phone is not rooted, and mounting dual exFat drives makes phone freeze, only removing battery fixes it.

I think I'll just copy photos from SD card to internal 64 GB micro SD card in the phone and then to 500GB HDD. Alternatively I can format HDD in Fat32 which will allow me to mount both SD and HDD at the same time, but of course there is 4GB file limit with Fat32, don't know if matters much as photos is ~20 MB in size and taking videos in AVCHD format is ~220 MB per minute, so plenty of movie time till it reaches 4 GB.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae