Surprised the S5 doesn't get more love

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
So having my S5 for about 4 months or so, I'm shocked it doesn't get more love. I am a longtime Android guy but my whole family has iThings. I tend to think I'm well past the honeymoon phase and I am reasonably objective.....I still think this phone rocks and I'm blown away it doesn't get more love.

I expect a large number of frustrated posts here because that's the nature of online forums. People often come in to vent or seek support. But it's typically balanced off by a large number of folks who really like the phone. Something that seems relatively absent (in this S5 forum anyway).

Awesome battery life (yes even post lollipop - for me anyway) - replaceable battery - expandable memory - responsive software environment and OS - customization options (even w/o root) that allows you to really make this thing your own - great screen and resolution - Water resistant - decent camera.

Am I missing something? Completely off base? Maybe it is a dog and I just got real lucky with my hardware / firmware / OS versions?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
So having my S5 for about 4 months or so, I'm shocked it doesn't get more love. I am a longtime Android guy but my whole family has iThings. I tend to think I'm well past the honeymoon phase and I am reasonably objective.....I still think this phone rocks and I'm blown away it doesn't get more love.

I expect a large number of frustrated posts here because that's the nature of online forums. People often come in to vent or seek support. But it's typically balanced off by a large number of folks who really like the phone. Something that seems relatively absent (in this S5 forum anyway).

Awesome battery life (yes even post lollipop - for me anyway) - replaceable battery - expandable memory - responsive software environment and OS - customization options (even w/o root) that allows you to really make this thing your own - great screen and resolution - Water resistant - decent camera.

Am I missing something? Completely off base? Maybe it is a dog and I just got real lucky with my hardware / firmware / OS versions?

In the 4 months that you have owned your phone I have received no less than 4 Lollipop, Android 5.0, updates from Samsung that have added massive improvements to the firmware in terms of features, performance and battery.

How much more love do you want?

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
True, I'm eligible to get a new phone with verizon edge and there is nothing out there right now that would make me so excited that I would get a new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

vrcounselor

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey. I totally agree. I've had my s5 for a year now and I love it. For all the reasons you mentioned. It's simply a great phone. Even with the s6 out now in prefer my s5. Expandable memory is one of my favorite features. Plus I even love the "cheap plastic back" which seems to put off so many others. Nov matter what others have ro say give me my s5 over any bother phone out there.

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I have it for 10 months now and pretty happy with it. I treat it like a baby. :D

Even though i can upgrade to the S6, i will hold on with my s5 due to water resistance and removable battery. I also prefer the replaceable back cover of the phone. I own a black and blue cover.

Camera is also very good! just dont use it on very lowlight environments.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I've had my S5 for over a year now, and I love it. With the otterbox commuter this thing will last. I rooted it as soon as I picked it up from my carrier and haven't updated since (I'm still on 4.4.2). Runs ultra smooth without any of the AT&T and Samsung bloat ware and looks gorgeous running the Nova launcher (not a big fan of Touch Wiz).

Just picked up a Gear 2 neo a couple of weeks ago - didn't think I needed a smartwatch after trying out the Moto 360 - but I think the neo is a great companion to my S5.

Oh and I second the amazing camera, I've shot so many great videos on this thing and thanks to Google Photo, I've been able to stitch together wonderful home videos.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Nova launcher gives me the clean, crisp home screen :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-12-23-10-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-12-23-10-12.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 66

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

It just did here with Consumer Report.

Consumer Reports prefers the Samsung Galaxy S5 to the Samsung Galaxy S6

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I feel affirmed by Consumer Reports in my decision to stick with the S5. Just got a new case to give it a fresh look :)

Shadowpdx

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Had my S5 for a year now - got it before it was released to the general public. Am happy......got updated to Lollipop and am doubly happy with it. None of th problems others have complained about upgrading. My Tab S was updated yesterday and I am sure I will be just as happy with it.... I am in one of those plans that allow me to upgrade to a new phone after one year......still haven't decided to go to the S6

cmack92

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Sprint S5 here too, having my screen on kills my battery randomly. Other than that, it's not too bad. I love all the updates, because my old phones didn't get too much attention lol.

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Nova launcher gives me the clean, crisp home screen :)

Agreed on Nova. Love being able to customize the look and feel.
494c15f091072c82871564eb3bb71c9c.jpg

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I don't get it either. I guess the small percentage of people who have owned them and had bad experiences get the most "camera time"...mostly (IMO) from a botched Lollipop OTA where the user REFUSES to do a factory reset. I'm coming from a Galaxy S3 that I've had the last 2.5 years. I've had my GS5 for about a month now. Besides a couple minor themeing-related things...I am stoked re: this phone. I actually believe that AT&T and Samsung did a great job with the Lollipop implementation...its a vastly improved user experience. 4 hours screen on time is achieved easily. The wifi radio/range is vastly improved compared to the S3. I really don't mind Touchwiz on Lollipop either. Screen-casting to devices on your wifi network work as expected. The camera is improved...along with viewing the screen in direct sunlight. SD card support and a removable battery are musts for me. I have mine in this case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4425866 with a RAVPower wireless charging wafer. I also don't get the whole "cheap plastic back" thing. It must be from pics online and naysayers on teh internets. I personally don't think its that much of an eyesore. I probably plan on keeping this phone for another 2 - 2.5 year span. I can't think of any "new thing" that would make me want to ditch the GS5 and move to something else.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been a Blackberry user for many years. Finally made the switch to Android and the Galaxy S5 is my first Android phone.....and I LOVE IT!!!! My 60+ old eyes just love the bigger....clearer...crispy easy to read screen. I also wanted a removable battery and a SD card. I love the great app selection. My needs have changed over the years for the apps I need. Android has meet those needs. I like the many launchers out there so you can customize your phone. My choice has been Nova Launcher Prime. Battery life has been excellent....no complaints there. No complaints with the camera either. Have had my S5 for over 1 year now and the little door cover over the bottom USB port is still attached to my phone. Maybe I've been lucky or must maybe I'm careful when opening it to charge my phone. ;)

The only thing I'm not totally happy with is Lollipop. Not crazy with all this white color and crappy color combinations. Hate the orange in my SMS. They really need to give you a choice to change the color to something else. I noticed that the font is smaller in your notifications, which for a 60+ person, is harder to read. I have downloaded an app called Floatify which give you many options to change your notification style. I can choose my color...text size and a ton of other options. The contact photos are much smaller also. Since I have a Verizon S5....the update to Lollipop went well. Did a lot of reading on this forum before upgrading to Lollipop. Did a clear cache and rebooted and my S5 after installing Lollipop and it has been running great. No factory reset...that would have been my last resort if I was having issues. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones with this upgrade to Lollipop.

I'll be keeping this phone for at least 2-3 years. I'm happy with the way it's performing and it totally meets my needs. :D

hopismum

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Have had mine for a year now. Love it! Lollipop caused no issues. Phone is more responsive, smooth and fast. My battery life improved as well. Spigen Tough Armor case and a tempered glass screen saver are keeping it looking new. No plans to upgrade period.

Posted via Android Central App

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I like my S5 but I don't love it. Part of it is because the phone has always been a little glitchy from time to time, and part of it is because I probably should have gone with the Note 3 last year when I got my S5. I use my phone for work a lot and the Note series is simply a better phone for business use.

I will say that after the 5.0 update, I was really annoyed that I had to do a factory reset, but since then the stability of the phone has improved tremendously.

I'd say it's a fine phone for your general, run of the mill smartphone user, but for people who want to heavily integrate their phone into their professional life, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar