My Samsung Galaxy S5 is burning hot while charging - won't turn on. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

annahaj

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S5 got burning hot while charging - won't turn on

My Samsung Galaxy S5 was insanely hot when I woke up today. I grabbed it to check it, but I couldn't even touch it without burning myself. It had been lying on my bed, half under pillows. I know that's a bad idea, but it has never ever caused me problems before, it has never been hot like this. I immediately covered my hands and took it apart so I could let it cool, and the battery was seriously burning hot. The phone had even melted my cover. I didn't put it back together until it was at a normal temperature, but it didn't want to turn on and still doesn't. The screen has also turned a bit lighter at the top, so I'm pretty sure my phone is completely ruined.. I'm so confused as to what could've caused this. The phone is from november last year, so it's relatively new. I make sure to close all apps before going to sleep and letting the phone charge, so I know that nothing could've been running while it was charging. I understand that it doesn't help that it was situated on my bed and a bit under the pillows, but I mean, it's a danger to people who own this phone that they can't even keep it under some fabric without it having a meltdown.
What could've caused this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 got burning hot while charging - won't turn on

Wow, thank heavens that nothing more serious happened! In general, never keep a phone that is powered on in any location without adequate ventilation (which means don't smother it under pillows or blankets). If the phone malfunctions, or even if it's doing something that might be normal (like automatically backing up photos, or automatically updating apps), the heat that gets generated by the CPU and the battery might feed on itself if it can't be dissipated adequately. As the battery gets hotter and hotter without being able to radiate the heat off, it can go into thermal runaway, which can cause it to melt or explode.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 got burning hot while charging - won't turn on

Ok, will close this thread and direct people to respond to the other one. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.