My Samsung Galaxy S5 is burning hot while charging - won't turn on. What should I do?

annahaj

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S5 got burning hot while charging - won't turn on

My Samsung Galaxy S5 was burning hot this morning when I woke up. I had of course charged it overnight, and put it on my bed as usual. I know that it's not probably not too wise to keep your phone there, but alas.. I was covered slightly by some pillows which might've been a contributing factor to the fact that it was completely burning hot. I tried to grab it but I burned myself. I immediately covered my hands so I could take it apart and let it cool down - as it had even melted my cover.. I don't know why this happened, as my phone is relatively new (from november last year) and I always close all running apps before I go to sleep and let it charge.. I know it's not the best to keep it on your bed and maybe it wouldn't have done this if I'd kept it on a table instead, but I still think it's pretty extreme considering I wasn't doing anything unusual to it. I'm about 90% sure that my phone is completely broken now. Some of the screen is slightly faded now, looking lighter than before. It won't turn on no matter what I do, which isn't surprising. I've had it all taken apart and the parts in themselves look fine, I can't see any damages there. Except for the plastic covering the flash and so on, it looks a little melted.. The battery looks fine.

What could've caused this?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 got burning hot while charging - won't turn on

My Samsung Galaxy S5 was burning hot this morning when I woke up. I had of course charged it overnight, and put it on my bed as usual. I know that it's not probably not too wise to keep your phone there, but alas.. I was covered slightly by some pillows which might've been a contributing factor to the fact that it was completely burning hot. I tried to grab it but I burned myself. I immediately covered my hands so I could take it apart and let it cool down - as it had even melted my cover.. I don't know why this happened, as my phone is relatively new (from november last year) and I always close all running apps before I go to sleep and let it charge.. I know it's not the best to keep it on your bed and maybe it wouldn't have done this if I'd kept it on a table instead, but I still think it's pretty extreme considering I wasn't doing anything unusual to it. I'm about 90% sure that my phone is completely broken now. Some of the screen is slightly faded now, looking lighter than before. It won't turn on no matter what I do, which isn't surprising. I've had it all taken apart and the parts in themselves look fine, I can't see any damages there. Except for the plastic covering the flash and so on, it looks a little melted.. The battery looks fine.

What could've caused this?

Hello and welcome to Android Central annahaj!

Were you using the original charger that came with your phone or a 3rd party charger?

annahaj

May 24, 2015
Visit site

No I was using the original charger that i got with the phone. I also checked the port and the charger itself, they both looked just fine and completely normal after everything happened.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

No I was using the original charger that i got with the phone. I also checked the port and the charger itself, they both looked just fine and completely normal after everything happened.

How long have you had the phone and which carrier and country are in?

annahaj

May 24, 2015
Visit site

I've had it since november last year, and I'm from Denmark. My carrier is CBB.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I've had it since november last year, and I'm from Denmark. My carrier is CBB.

OK. You are well within your warranty period. You must contact your carrier, if they supplied the phone, or Samsung directly, about this issue as I know that they take this sort of thing very seriously. Do not attempt to charge it or turn it on again and remove the battery. Samsung will probably require your handset, battery and charger so that they can investigate this thoroughly. You will need to discuss a replacement phone, under warranty, with your carrier/Samsung.

annahaj

May 24, 2015
Visit site

Yes.. I've already contacted the place where I bought it so I hope they'll replace. It still just bothers me how this could even happen.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Yes.. I've already contacted the place where I bought it so I hope they'll replace. It still just bothers me how this could even happen.

That is why Samsung will need to investigate this very thoroughly.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Ironass is dead right, Samsung is going to want that phone. they will do a complete investigation and tear down to see what exactly caused this issue.
you say your battery looks fine? that's actually amazing I would have thought it would have bloated and possibly caught on fire - you got lucky your phone was all that cooked ;)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Can you post pictures? Curious to see. Definitely contact Samsung, this is a safety issue.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

uploadfromtaptalk1432510045102.jpg
This made the news not that long ago. I too have awoke to a very hot phone, from getting under a pillow. Happened with my blackberry, gs3, and note3. Can't let them be covered while charging. Also got pretty hot with Iheart radio playing and NOT charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol