[Help] Insignia ($16) vs Otterbox vs Spigen Tough Armor case; Incipio vs Zagg anti-privacy protector

bbtoandroid

May 30, 2015
Visit site
S5 case:
For my new s5 I got an Insignia case from bestbuy ($16 total). It's very basic and possibly not good enough to take any drop. Also has no reviews on amazon making me skeptical of its quality. So I went back to bestbuy looking for another and found surprisingly few good choices.

I searched amazon and Spigen tough armour (ordered amazon $20) has got good reviews but a lot of 1 stars too. Another would be Otterbox commuter but it may be too bulky. Is Spigen tough armor sturdy enough for drops? I just moved from a BB to these new delicate phones and Spigen appears to be a good combo of style and strength. Had not cared much about cases for BB.

Screen protector:
What are the best screen protectors to use? Retailers such as bestbuy have very few for one to be able to walk in a store and get to look before buying.

How do Cellet (around $8) and Incipio (around $17) compare with Zagg InvisibleShield Anti-privacy Glass (ordered for $26 on amazon)?
Does the anti-privacy glass make the display too dark/dim?

Tjk230

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I have the spigen slim armor and I love it. It doesn't add much bulk and has lasted through plenty of drops onto the concrete or asphalt. I just went with a real glass screen protector as opposed to the plastic ones and the switch has been great, the screen is much smoother and easier to install. I ordered the screen cover and the spigen off amazon and have no complaints.

Posted via the Android Central App

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I also moved from a Blackberry to the S5 11 months ago & had the same concerns of the frail feel of the phone construction. :confused:

I purchased a Spigen® Slim Armor View. I chose the view as I thought the cover would help protect the screen in my purse. It's been very good in the protection department, although a little cumbersome at times. I felt the case was slick, so I applied a rubbery applique on the front & back for a better grip. (Gives the phone a little personality.) I've been very satisfied with the Spigen, but have had no personal experience with the Insignia or Otterbox.

I wouldn't leave the store without a screen protector & the only one that was in stock was a tech21 Impact Shield Self Heal Screen Protector. Its has proven to be good protection, although seems like I'm always cleaning it. I've heard great things about the Zagg Glass. Maybe someone will chime in on the darkness of the privacy glass.

Kelly L

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I have to say I went the same way with the Spigen case and glass screen protector and not only does it look great it's sturdy enough to keep your phone safe.

bbtoandroid

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments.
It seems like Spigen Tough Armor could be right for me.
I've also been concerned about the slickness of most of the cases available for galaxy s5. For my BB, I'd used a simple soft rubbery case that worked great for the grip while providing reasonable protection.
I checked out the local BestBuy, Staples, Office Depot, Walmart etc today to get a feel for the Spigen Tough Armor and Zagg InvisibleShield Anti-privacy Glass but none seems to carry it. Even though Staples carries it online they don't have it in the stores.

Any thoughts on the darkness of Zagg InvisibleShield Anti-privacy Glass compared to Zagg InvisibleShield Glass?
Any brick and mortar store where i can look at these products (spigen and zagg for s5)?

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The phone may feel flimsy and light weight, but I can attest that it is sturdy enough to survive a fall from the roof of a moving vehicle going about 30 mph. Not only did it not shatter and screen come out unscathed (thanks to a cheap matte screen protector), but it also still works flawlessly today. After my little incident I did go with a otterbox commuter, which adds a nice grip and superb protection while still sliding effortlessly into my slim jeans.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have both the Spigen Tough Armor and the Otterbox Commuter. I also have a Tech21 Impact Mesh. I like all three for different reasons, and sometimes I switch around just give my phone a different look.

But, the one that's on my phone now, and the one I like the best is the Tough Armor. It's probably a little better protection that the Otterbox, I like the look of it more, and it comes off more quickly (and without two pieces) than the Otterbox when I switch batteries or take out the SD card. More limited in terms of color combinations...

I know I'm a little nuts (everyone has their fetishes) but I have the gun metal and slate colors. The slate is darker in real life than most pics show, so I find myself mostly using the gun metal version.

Enjoy!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle