Please Help I dont know what this means and wifi keeps dropping

NickSomers

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
On my gs5 sport this started popping up today Screenshot_2015-07-15-00-04-12.jpg i dunno what it is or why its popping up but right after my wifi started to drop and reconnect. Please HELP!

lstewa68

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
This just started happening to me, too. I have a Moto X, 1st Generation phone from Republic Wireless. Rebooting made no difference. I did not try to clear any cache.

lstewa68

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
It just happened again and I managed to get a pic of it (see attached). I was streaming music using Google Play Music app while connected to WiFi at work and it didn't miss a beat. So, unlike some other posts I read online, I don't appear to be losing my WiFi connection.

Screenshot_2015-07-14-23-00-36.png

kimmypooh

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
On my gs5 sport this started popping up today View attachment 186810 i dunno what it is or why its popping up but right after my wifi started to drop and reconnect. Please HELP!

Mine has just started doing this as well, today. It's an S5 Sprint is my carrier. It just pops up out of nowhere. Songs my Wi-Fi keeps going it as well. There was an update today.
Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Posted via the Android Central App

lstewa68

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
On my Moto X, it's called something else: "Wi-Fi optimization". I tried turning it off, but still saw the problem. Then, I tried disabling something that's referred to by Apple users as "captive portals". Disabling that feature seemed to do the trick for me. However, I made those changes on Tuesday. Today, I decided to try turning them back on to see if I could reproduce the symptom: now, it won't fail. So, I'm still not sure what the magic fix is.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen more reports about that problem. Maybe it was a temporary glitch on the carrier side and it's all good now. Never heard about those "captive portals". What are they used for?

lstewa68

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
While asking about this problem on a forum for my carrier (Republic Wireless), one user told me about it. As I understand it, it basically has something to do with automatically saving logon information for WiFi hotspots that require providing login credentials, or maybe even ones that don't require credentials. Here's an Apple site that briefly talks about the concept of captive portals:

apple.stackexchange.com/questions/45418/how-to-automatically-login-to-captive-portals-on-os-x

, but it's not just an iPhone/iPad thing. Android phones have a setting for it, too; although, it might be carrier-specific. On my RW Moto X, it's a check box called "Help me with extra verification" and the decription underneath reads:

"Show WiFi authorization pages (if required) and offer to automate them in the future."

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC