I put my Samsung Galaxy S5 underwater for 15 seconds, will it be okay?

Griffin Hathaway

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I put my samsung galaxy s5underwater for 15 seconds will it be okay

Hey android nation. I put my samsung galaxys5 underwater for about 15 seconds. After my speaker was funny and not working well.
thanks for your help !!!

Last edited:

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: I put my samsung galaxy s5underwater for 15 seconds will it be okay

Thought s5 was waterproof... I say shake the water out let it dry and it should be fine unless it got water damage.
Please don't use rice lol its bad.
I use my Sony M4 aqua under water all the time in pool or when out camping with no problems after just dry it off and all good.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The rice technique works fine. I did it to my S5 when my speaker sounded funny after being underwater.

Though it's water resistant it doesn't make it water proof.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Thought s5 was waterproof... I say shake the water out let it dry and it should be fine unless it got water damage.
Please don't use rice lol its bad.
I use my Sony M4 aqua under water all the time in pool or when out camping with no problems after just dry it off and all good.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Curious about the reason why using rice is bad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Curious about the reason why using rice is bad?
Rice dries out the water, but concentrates the impurities - and it's the impurities that cause the damage. You can run any phone submerged in triple-distilled deionized water for as long as you like. Water itself is a very poor conductor of electricity.

Soak the phone in alcohol, swishing it around to dissolve all the impurities in the alcohol and washing them out of the phone, with 3 separate alcohol baths. Unless the phone's already been damaged (like charging a wet phone, or even leaving the battery in for more than a second or two), that should clean out just about anything that could cause damage.

The impurities cause 2 problems. Some are conductive and cause shorts. Some are corrosive and eat the copper away.

BTW, the S5 is water-resistant, not waterproof. There's a big difference. It can be immersed in water up to a depth of 1 meter (just over 3 feet for those of us still living in the past), for up to 1 minute. Anything deeper or longer exceeds the IP67 spec, which is what the S5 is rated for. It also is NOT warrantied against water damage. A waterproof phone would be. (The old Nextel "indestructible" i700 was - it could also survive being thrown - HARD - against a solid steel wall [the battery cover would pop off and the battery would fall out] and survive drops of 25 feet or more to concrete. They don't make phones like that any more.)

GS5TR

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Putting your S5 under water can't be no harm, I've dived with my S5 on my holiday haha! Just make sure you closed your Phone good, Putt finger sens. on High, so you can use your Phone under water. When you come up, make sure you dry upp your speaker and camera.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

If there's any leak in the seals, it'll destroy your phone. Don't panic if it rains on it or you spill a drink on it, but it's NOT waterproof, it's just water resistant.

sbjforumman

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

doooood, the i700 sounds ridiculous! I want one of those in modern form.

GS5TR

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

If you closed and checked all things at ur phone, cable, backcover you will be able to put it under water.. just let it dry an hour and its fine..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress