Canadian Variants Getting Updated

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Just got word that Canadian carriers are starting the roll out for the stagefright vulnerability, so naturally I fired up my updater and something started downloading. I was expecting around a 175MB file, but it was actually 303MB.

Right now, it's still optimizing my apps but Sammobile shows this new build as G900W8VLU1BOC2 (still on 5.0).

Can anyone (@ironass?) tell what's in this update? For the record - it made NO reference to fixing the stagefright vulnerability.

Last edited:

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bell Canada Update Incoming

Just got word that Canadian carriers are starting the roll out for the stagefright vulnerability, so naturally I fired up my updater and something started downloading. I was expecting around a 175MB file, but it was actually 303MB.

Right now, it's still optimizing my apps but Sammobile shows this new build as G900W8VLU1BOC2 (still on 5.0).

Can anyone (@ironass?) tell what's in this update? For the record - it made NO reference to fixing the stagefright vulnerability.

Just got the same update. 303MB in size. Wondering what it is for as well.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

Stagefright vulnerability HAS been patched. Still no clue what was in the other 150+ MB....

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Canadian users are receiving the, "Stagefright", update for Android 5.0, Lollipop, on the SM-G900W8, model of their lightly branded phones for the following CSC codes.

N.B. The changelist number for this G900W8VLU1BOC2, #4100894, is exactly the same as the OC1 firmware release in March.

OYA = Canada (Rogers)

OYA = Canada (Videotron)

OYA = Canada (Telus)

OYA = Canada (Globalive Wind Mobile)

OYA = Canada (Bell Mobile)

OYA = Canada (Fido Mobile)

OYA = Canada (Koodo Mobile)

OYA = Canada (EastLink)

OYA = Canada (Virgin Mobile)

OYA = Canada (SaskTel)

OYA = Canada (Mobilicity)

OYA = Canada (Unknown) Product code MTA

OYA = Canada (Unknown) Product code SPC

Check both OTA, (Over The Air), and via Samsung's PC suite, Kies, for updates.

For more information about CSC codes, see #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

So is this the OC1 (with the addition of the stagefright patch) that increased performance and battery life for the rest of the world back in March?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

So is this the OC1 (with the addition of the stagefright patch) that increased performance and battery life for the rest of the world back in March?

Ha! Ha! Ha! It is the same firmware that was released by Canadian carriers before... with a patch. OC7 is the firmware that brought the features you mention, to the International models.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

So we still suck. Thanks a lot. :'(

Hey! Don't blame me can3gxw! ;)

Blame your carriers for not going for a later and more up-to-date firmware release... besides, it could be worse... you could be on AT&T or Verizon's locked-down and unrootable, clonewares! :D

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Could you do me a favour old boy and amend your thread title by removing the word, "Bell", and it can then cover all the Canadian, G900W8, models. Cheers!