Shouldn't I be seeing any Lollipop revisions for this phone, by now?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Both my wife's S4 and my S5 are on Sprint's network.

Recently I upgraded my wife's S4 to 5.0, and within a couple of days afterward, was prompted to install both the Stagefright patch and the 5.0.1 revision. By contrast, my S5 had been running rooted stock 4.4.4, which I assumed explained why my Knox flag was tripped and also why I wasn't getting prompted to do the 5.0 update on that handset. After a good deal of helpful information from here and elsewhere, I did a factory reset which put me back to 4.2.2 and removed root. Sure enough, the prompt to install 5.0 appeared almost immediately. Likewise I soon got a security patch, but since then, nothing.

Shouldn't I be seeing the 5.0.1 upgrade by now, or is it not available yet for the S5? Obviously, my Knox counter is still nonzero, but that was also true when I was offered the 5.0 update to install. And having installed it, so far every thing seems to be working fine. From here there are root procedures that will work with 5.0.1 and 5.0.2, but apparently not with 5.0, or at least that original release version of Lollipop isn't listed on that page. I'd really like to get rooted again in order to use Titanium Backup and one or two other utilities that require root. I really don't know how people live without a good backup utility, and I'm unaware of any that will work without root. The ones that I have looked at seem to be variations on..."Please wait while we update some of your apps to our server, and when you want to restore them maybe we will and maybe we won't let you do that."

At the same time, even if there is a way to root 5.0, I don't want to do it if 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 are right around the corner, or for that matter 5.1. Similarly, if my not seeing any later revisions is a quirk of my phone's configuration, then I don't want to root it until I can fix or at least understand the details.

Just like the built-in update checker, Kies 3 also fails to offer any revisions after 5.0.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech