After 5.1.1 update, S5 Back and Recent/Menu buttons don't work, how can I get them working again?

lynstks

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
After 5.1.1 update, S5 Back and Recent/Menu buttons don't work

After the 5.1.1 update on my T-Mobile Galaxy S5, the Back and Recent/Menu buttons just plain do not work -- no light, no function. I've tried the recommended fixes in power settings, touch light time in display, activesync, and I've even done a factory reset. I use several apps that are useless to me now because they don't have their own back or menu buttons. Is there no option left besides downgrading to 5.0, where those buttons still worked?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: After 5.1.1 update, S5 Back and Recent/Menu buttons don't work

After the 5.1.1 update on my T-Mobile Galaxy S5, the Back and Recent/Menu buttons just plain do not work -- no light, no function. I've tried the recommended fixes in power settings, touch light time in display, activesync, and I've even done a factory reset. I use several apps that are useless to me now because they don't have their own back or menu buttons. Is there no option left besides downgrading to 5.0, where those buttons still worked?

Are you on the original T-Mobile (USA) Android 5.1.1 firmware... OF6

or the newer, bugfix, update for T-Mobile (USA) Android 5.1.1 firmware... OG6

lynstks

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

Not exactly sure what you mean -- it was the 5.1.1 update followed by the Stagefright update

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Have you tried installing a 3rd party launcher, such as Nova Launcher, free from the Play Store, to see if the issue with the 2 soft keys persists?

Hassan272

May 24, 2015
Visit site

Don't know what might be causing this, probably a firmware issue. However, there's an app called 'Back button' that will grant you access to on-screen navigation buttons, and that could be your fix for the meantime. Give it a try.

Posted via the Android Central App

lynstks

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

Never knew that app existed, thanks! It does "back" and "recent" -- still doesn't do "menu", but the back button helps a lot.
Now if there was just something to give me back a menu within an app without rooting!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Now if there was just something to give me back a menu within an app without rooting!

What happens if you long press the left soft key when you are within an app?

lynstks

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

Did that way back, it was in my initial post here. I tried everything I could find before I posted here. Any other ideas?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Did that way back, it was in my initial post here. I tried everything I could find before I posted here. Any other ideas?

No. Sorry I missed that.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12