Sending call to voicemail and silencing the ring... without letting caller know?

wender5

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S5 - Is there a way to send a call to voicemail--and thereby also silence the ring--without letting the caller know that I've chosen not to answer? (i.e. on their end, it goes to VM after a "normal" number of rings...)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't have a direct answer, but personally, I wouldn't assume that a call going directly to voicemail means that the recipient was ignoring my call. I think this can happen with poor signal as well, so it's not necessarily suspicious.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S5 - Is there a way to send a call to voicemail--and thereby also silence the ring--without letting the caller know that I've chosen not to answer? (i.e. on their end, it goes to VM after a "normal" number of rings...)

Hello and welcome to Android Central wender5!

You could always cheat and download a, "Silent", ringtone, and then assign the, "Silent", ringtone to the contact... Contacts > the contact concerned > Edit (pencil) > Ringtone... select Silent (ensure that the Silent ringtone is stored in the devices Ringtone folder). Also, ensure that in call settings that unanswered calls go to voicemail.

allykat_08

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
If you hit the volume down button when your phone is ringing, it will silence the ringer, but you can still see that it's ringing on the screen. I assume it sends the call to voicemail after the normal amount of rings.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
If you hit the volume down button when your phone is ringing, it will silence the ringer, but you can still see that it's ringing on the screen. I assume it sends the call to voicemail after the normal amount of rings.

This is what I've always assumed, since you're not hitting the CALLEND button

Posted via the Android Central App

wender5

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I did a test, calling my phone from my work line, and the volume button does indeed work to immediately silence the phone, AND it keeps ringing for the caller. Oddly, for my test, it rang SIX times on the land line before my galaxy even started ringing... and it rang at least six more times on the landline before it went to voice mail. I'll have to look into that--must be a setting somewhere...

In the past I was using call end and had a complaint that I was "hanging up" on them! The silent ringtone idea doesn't really work for me as there are various callers where I want to send them to voice mail quickly.

Thanks again! When I bought this phone (my first Smartphone) friends and family were advocating the iphone, but that just wasn't flexible enough for me. So far the galaxy is great, although I feel I've explored only a tiny part of it. Glad this forum is here.