Mail Exchange ActiveSync - SubFolders in Inbox

anon(9627055)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I have added email account on my new Galaxy S5 with Exchange ActiveSync to connect my Exchange 2010 mailbox.

It works like a charm, I can get all of my emails, I have selected which subfolders I want to synchronise with push method instead of default manual method.

My problem is that when I recevied a new email which is redirect to a subfolder on my email box, this email is also redirected in this subfolder on my phone.
This is not user-friendly at all, because I have to open "View all folders/push '+' button" to see if I have a new email in a subfolder and also to open it.

I have looked for a way to see in one place, the Inbox mails and all subfolders that I which to synchronise without success.

Do you know if it's possible to do that on Android ?
I can't believe that all Android's people in the world are using my bad method to see emails in subfolders :).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Chris.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Please read this post. I think AquaMail can do what you need.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/573702-what-email-app-best-s6.html#post4646258

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail&token=IHXZr-bq

Just to be clear, Push email service does not push email to the phone. It only pushes the notification to the phone, which is a very small file. Email is not actually downloaded to the phone until a scheduled sync pass comes up or the email client is opened, triggering a sync.

Last edited:

anon(9627055)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, Aquamail doesn't do what I'm looking for.

I want to get all my synchronised emails (inbox and selected subfolders) in the same list, avoiding me to select each folder to get my emails.

Chris

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I think AquaMail will do exactly what you want and is probably the only email client that can. The AquaMail Smart Folder can display in a single list, (as you requested) all the email in selected folders (as you requested) and from all or only selected accounts. No need to select a folder to see the email, it's all displayed in a single list (as you requested). In Settings, you pick the folders you want included in the Smart Folder, whether you want to see read, unread, or both.

As I said in my reply: "You can include or exclude folders in the Smart folder, from each account. For example, you may want Account A to show only its Inbox in the Smart folder, but for Accounts B & C to show Inbox, High priority and Sent folders in the Smart folder. You can do that."

I really think you need to give AquaMail another look. If I'm misunderstanding what you need, let me know and maybe I can suggest something else.

anon(9627055)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
OK, Ok, big crash damage for me :) I'm very sorry, you are right it works fine !!!
Many thanks for help.
Could you tell me if we can ask AquaMail to get only mail for 1 month in the past for example ?

Sorry again.

anon(9627055)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Crash Damage has respond to me in private due to problem to respond here.
Please find his response at the end of this post.

I have looked in the "Message to Sync" menu, but I only have the following options :

Default (25 mails)
15 mails, 25 mails, 50, 100, 250...5000.

I don't have the "by time period" options.

-------------------
Sure. By default, AquaMail is set to keep a number of emails to save on the phone. But it can be changed to save a number of days to save and this can be set independently for each account.
Do this:

In the main screen, the account list, long-press on the account title bar. A menu will pop up.
Tap 'Options and folders' in the menu.
Tap 'Account options'.
Tap 'Messages to sync'.
Tap 'By time period'.
Tap on the number of days of email you want to keep on the phone.
Tap 'OK' to save.

AquaMail is extremely configurable, with options for almost anything you can imagine. But with so many options, it takes a while to learn and get everything setup just how you want.

Fortunately, it has a good built-in Help and very good customer support in an active user forum monitored by the developer, or by email. You can access those from Help.

Have fun with it! IMHO AquaMail is not just a terrific email app, it's one of the best Android apps of any kind.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I know what's wrong...you're in the General settings, settings for the app. There no number of days option there. You need to get into the settings for the individual accounts.

In the account list, where there's just big bars with the name of the accounts, like this screenshot:
uploadfromtaptalk1441036233559.jpg

When you're in that screen, then follow the steps I gave you before .

Here's a couple of shots of my Smart Folder:
uploadfromtaptalk1441036501911.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441036523286.jpg

And one of a Smart Folder widget:
uploadfromtaptalk1441036661690.jpg

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

anon(9627055)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for boring you again but I was in the right place.
I have check general settings and I have the same menu in general settings and in account settings.

For information I'm working with version 1.5.9.11.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
That is the current version. When you follow the steps I gave, here are the screens you should see:
uploadfromtaptalk1441038168470.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441038184172.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441038198228.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441038212545.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441038225041.jpg

If you don't end up in that last screen, then that's really friggin' odd.

Don't worry, you're not boring me.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

anon(9627055)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry for my late response and thanks for yours.

I don't have the same menu in Account parameters.
I'm using the free version. Do you think that could be the reason ?

Moreover, push is not working.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I haven't used the free version in a long time, but this is what AquaMail says is the difference between the free and paid versions - it's really not much: "The unlocker lets you configure more than two accounts, use identites (aliases), and removes the promo signature at the bottom of each outgoing message." Don't see how that c ould be the problem.

I really don't understand what's happening here. I've certainly never heard of or seen this problem. I've used AquaMail for a long time without any problems. The developer is so good I even run all the testing versions without trouble. AquaMail is one of the most stable, reliable apps there is.

Are you absolutely sure you're getting into the right menus? All I can think of is you're not getting into the accoun menus, you're somehow still getting into the main menus. In the main menu you will see the option to set a number of emails only, there is not a date option there. To see the last screen I posted, the one with options for setting a number of emails or a date for emails, you must be in the account menu.

Can you post some screenshots of what you are seeing, like the ones I posted? This is crazy...gotta be something really simple going wrong here...

anon(9627055)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Sure, you will find 2 screenshots of my Aquamail.

First one is the Account options menu, and the second one the Messages to Sync menu.

Sorry menu I'm using a french version.

It's definitively very very sure that I'm in the right menu, the account settings menu. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-01-16-59-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-01-16-59-34.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2015-09-01-16-59-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-01-16-59-42.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 3

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
What account is this? Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, private domain, such as xxxzz@mydomain.com or ??

Is it POP3 service or IMAP? I think what's going on here is that it's POP3.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
OK, I've never used AquaMail with Exchange. I don't know just how it varies from POP3 or IMAP as far as how that affects what screens you see. The screenshots you posted made me think it was a POP3 account. You seem to know your way around pretty well so I assume that when you did the setup you choose Exchange instead of POP3.

I've used AquaMail for a long time and know it pretty well so I can help you out with most stuff, but not when it comes to Exchange. I do know that AquaMail handles Exchange EWS very well, including contacts and calendar. You might try posting for help on the AquaMail forum. They're really helpful.

anon(9627055)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I have seen on AquaMail forum, dated beginning of 2014, that Exchange EWS doesn't works with push....
It seems that it doesn't work again :).

I'm going to ask them and go back here to tell you the answer.

Many thanks again for all your time and help.

Chris.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
No problem, let me know if can do anything else. I vaguely remember something about EWS and push being fixed, but maybe I'm just not quite awake yet. Exhange is a real oddball system, like most Microsoft stuff. Hope everything works out ok.

Edit: I think you might be able to get push notifications by setting up your Exchange account as IMAP - but then again could be all wrong. But you might ask, just to be sure.

anon(9627055)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
yes same idea !!
I have delete the EWS account and create a new account in AquaMail to connect to Exchange with IMAP, after adding some authorizations on our firewall...

And yes I got the menu you talk about :).

So, now, I can see subfolders I wish to see in the smart folder, and they are updated with push connection ! It's wonderful :p.

My very last question :

- Does AquaMail could fill my phone calendar and contacts with my Exchange calendar and contacts, like the Android mail does ?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Glad you got that working! AquaMail really is terrific. The more you us it, the more you appreciate the clean, easy UI design and all the options for everything.

I found this on the AquaMail website descripton:
"Microsoft Exchange is supported via IMAP or EWS. EWS includes access to server side contacts (personal and global, with search), and two-way Calendar sync with system Calendar (so you can use your favorite calendar app or widgets)."

Question now is: Can you setup the account as IMAP and have all the considerable advantages that offers, but still deal with contacts and calendar as with EWS? My gut feeling is no, but I simply don't have any hands-on experience with Exchange stuff. Maybe it will work or there's at least a tolerable work-around. I think that is a very good question for the AquaMail forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty