Why can't I see pictures while inside my messaging app?

BigWeakSauce

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Can't see pictures while inside messaging app.

This has been driving me crazy since I purchased my Galaxy S5 a year ago.

Every now and then, almost as if my phone chooses when it wants to mess with me, I'll open a conversation in the messaging app (the standard app on the phone). I can see in the main conversation window that there was a picture sent and I can see the picture. When I tap on the picture to enlarge it to full screen, it doesn't open. Instead it just shows a black screen with the thumbnails from previous sent pictures along the bottom.

To give a real example:
My brother just had a baby and my mom has been sending pictures like crazy. When I open a picture from the messaging app, the screen is black but the previous pictures that were send can be opened via the thumbnail selection across the bottom of the screen.

If I close out of the app and reopen the app, I can usually see the picture I was having trouble with, but the next one will do the same thing. Sometimes I'll be looking at a picture someone sent and it will go black while the picture is already open.

It's as if something running in the background is interrupting the process and even shutting the process down in some cases. Even pictures that I've seen before, for instance, my mom sent baby pictures of my brother a few weeks earlier, won't open even after I've already seen them through the messaging app.

As you can imagine, it's terrible. Especially when I want to show my wife a picture someone sends me, I have to jump through 5 minutes worth of hoops to get it to open and in some cases I can't even get it to open!

What I want is to be able to receive a picture via the messaging app and tap on it to enlarge with NO issues. This really doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Can't see pictures while inside messaging app.

Hello and welcome to Android Central BigWeakSauce!

When you state, "When I open a picture from the messaging app", is this the stock Samsung messaging app or a carrier's own version of a messaging app? (See #1.5 & #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63