Update for 5.1 on Verizon

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed that there is a OTA update to Samsung Galaxy s5 on the Verizon system. I read where the update is for Galaxy 6 on Verizon. How can they really produce an update to a later model telephone before the update to the galaxy s5. I really don't understand. Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind that move?

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon network

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed that there is a OTA update to Samsung Galaxy s5 on the Verizon system. I read where the update is for Galaxy 6 on Verizon.

I am not sure what you are trying to say in the above! Is the update for the S5 or S6?

How can they really produce an update to a later model telephone before the update to the galaxy s5. I really don't understand. Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind that move?

By your reasoning, they should push out the update to the Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S4 before the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S6. The S6 is now the flagship phone and will receive newer updates first. The Galaxy S5 will reach EOL, (End Of Life), in another 7 months.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure what you are trying to say in the above! Is the update for the S5 or S6?

By your reasoning, they should push out the update to the Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S4 before the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S6. The S6 is now the flagship phone and will receive newer updates first. The Galaxy S5 will reach EOL, (End Of Life), in another 7 months.

Are you saying that Samsung or Verizon is not going to update their phones to 5.1? Is that a way of planned obsolescence? If so, does that mean that you have to buy the latest Android phone, or switch to iPhone. Your thoughts please. Remember, 5.1 contains bug fixes.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Are you saying that Samsung or Verizon is not going to update their phones to 5.1? Is that a way of planned obsolescence? If so, does that mean that you have to buy the latest Android phone, or switch to iPhone. Your thoughts please.

I cannot speak for Verizon, who are a law unto themselves, but Samsung will continue to support the S5 with updates until its EOL. They may choose to skip Android 5.1 and go straight to Android 6. They did this with the Android 4.4.4 update, which they ignored for their unbranded international phones and went directly from 4.4.2 to Lollipop.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'll have to sit and wait to see if it ever comes down. I had 4.4.4 on my galaxy s5 and it upgraded to lollipop 5.0. I guess waiting for Lollipop 5.1 is not going to happen. But thanks again for your help.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech