Updates?

queensgirl

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S5 since July of last year (2014) I've always wondered about updates and stuff but I've never gotten anything to update my phone? Is this supposed to be done? I went to About Device and it says Android version : 4.4.2.... Are we supposed to get updates? Can I do it manually? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks .

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It depends on which version you have. Yes, you're supposed to get updates, but if you have a carrier version, then it's up to the carrier to make such updates available. Which version do you have? If you have a factory-unlocked version or an International model, you should have receive an update by now. You can also try downloading Samsung Kies to your computer and using that to check for updates for your phone (connect through USB).

One more thing to have in mind, if you have a carrier version and are using it with a different carrier, updates MIGHT be blocked. I know AT&T used to do this (updates would only be available if your phone was using an AT&T SIM).

You can always flash a custom ROM or a stock ROM based off a newer OS version if you download from trustworthy places. JUST MAKE SURE THAT THE ROM YOU DOWNLOAD IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR SPECIFIC MODEL/VERSION OR YOU MIGHT END UP WITH AN UNUSABLE PHONE. (Sorry for the Caps, but it's really important).

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had my S5 since July of last year (2014) I've always wondered about updates and stuff but I've never gotten anything to update my phone? Is this supposed to be done? I went to About Device and it says Android version : 4.4.2.... Are we supposed to get updates? Can I do it manually? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks .

In general - your carrier would push the update over the air (OTA)

If you would like to check yourself:

Settings>System Updates

Also, go to Google Play Settings and see if you have auto updates enabled for your Apps.

queensgirl

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It depends on which version you have. Yes, you're supposed to get updates, but if you have a carrier version, then it's up to the carrier to make such updates available. Which version do you have? If you have a factory-unlocked version or an International model, you should have receive an update by now. You can also try downloading Samsung Kies to your computer and using that to check for updates for your phone (connect through USB).

One more thing to have in mind, if you have a carrier version and are using it with a different carrier, updates MIGHT be blocked. I know AT&T used to do this (updates would only be available if your phone was using an AT&T SIM).

You can always flash a custom ROM or a stock ROM based off a newer OS version if you download from trustworthy places. JUST MAKE SURE THAT THE ROM YOU DOWNLOAD IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR SPECIFIC MODEL/VERSION OR YOU MIGHT END UP WITH AN UNUSABLE PHONE. (Sorry for the Caps, but it's really important).

Don't know if this is the correct answer but I purchased my phone directly from T-MOBILE.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

You should have had several updates by now.

1. Which model of Galaxy S5 do you have? See #1.2 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide for how to obtain this.

2. What are your exact current firmware, "Version", details as per #1.8 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

3. Is, or has, your phone been rooted?

4. Have you or anyone else, manually flashed a firmware to the phone?

queensgirl

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
In general - your carrier would push the update over the air (OTA)

If you would like to check yourself:

Settings>System Updates

Also, go to Google Play Settings and see if you have auto updates enabled for your Apps.

Went to Settings , Don't see System Updates, But I do see Software Updates when I click About Device. Is that the same thing?
As far as google play I have it set on Do not auto-update apps.

queensgirl

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You should have had several updates by now.

1. Which model of Galaxy S5 do you have?

2. What are your exact current firmware, "Version",

3. Is, or has, your phone been rooted?

4. Have you or anyone else, manually flashed a firmware to the phone?

1. Model # is SM-G900T
2. tried doing the *#1234# but it said unable to process request
3. My phone has never been rooted? Not even sure what that means so probably not.
4. No? lol Not sure what that is either.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
1. Model # is SM-G900T
2. tried doing the *#1234# but it said unable to process request
3. My phone has never been rooted? Not even sure what that means so probably not.
4. No? lol Not sure what that is either.

As per item 2 above, did you install Phone Info as per the link, for those on carrier devices, such as yours for T-Mobile (USA), where *#1234# does not work?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
That is the very old Android 4.4.2 update, NE6, from way back in May 2014. There have been 8 further updates for your model since then and the latest is on Android 5.1.1, here...

Model SM-G900T
Model name GALAXY S5
Country USA (T-Mobile)
Version Android 5.1.1
Changelist 5406928
Build date Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:03:00 +0000
Product code TMB
PDA G900TUVU1FOG6
CSC G900TTMB1FOG6

In Phone Info, under the heading, "Android", does it show root existence?

Also, under, CSC CODE", what does it show for, "Original CSC Code", and, "Active CSC Code"?

queensgirl

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That is the very old Android 4.4.2 update, NE6, from way back in May 2014. There have been 8 further updates for your model since then and the latest is on Android 5.1.1, here...

In Phone Info, under the heading, "Android", does it show root existence?

Also, under, CSC CODE", what does it show for, "Original CSC Code", and, "Active CSC Code"?

Root Existence No
Both Orignial and Active CSC say TMB

Is it strange that I've never received any updates ever? Am I doing something wrong?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Root Existence No
Both Orignial and Active CSC say TMB

Is it strange that I've never received any updates ever? Am I doing something wrong?

OK. They check out. So long as you have updates enabled as BlurryEyed's post #3, above, you should receive the updates automatically from T-Mobile (USA).

You have 2 choices...

1. Take it to your nearest T-Mobile or Samsung Service Point and get them to update it for you. Perhaps they can also explain why your phone has not updated.

2. You can download the stock T-Mobile firmware that I have linked you to in post #10 and flash it to your phone by carefully reading the instructions and watching the video in the links of #1.11 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

queensgirl

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

OK. They check out. So long as you have updates enabled as BlurryEyed's post #3, above, you should receive the updates automatically from T-Mobile (USA).

You have 2 choices...

1. Take it to your nearest T-Mobile or Samsung Service Point and get them to update it for you. Perhaps they can also explain why your phone has not updated.

2. You can download the stock T-Mobile firmware that I have linked you to in post #10 and flash it to your phone by carefully reading the instructions and watching the video in the links of #1.11 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide[/URL]

I'll probably have T-MOBILE check it out, I did reply to blurryeyed's post that in my google play settings I have it set to do not auto-update apps. Running out of space on the phone so I need to control which are updated and which aren't.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I'll probably have T-MOBILE check it out, I did reply to blurryeyed's post that in my google play settings I have it set to do not auto-update apps. Running out of space on the phone so I need to control which are updated and which aren't.

I am not referring to Play Store updates but rather, the System updates in Settings > About device (may be a different pathway on your carrier minority variant).

I strongly recommend that you back up as much as possible, (see Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!), before taking your phone to T-Mobile.

queensgirl

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I am not referring to Play Store updates but rather, the System updates in Settings > About device (may be a different pathway on your carrier minority variant).

I strongly recommend that you back up as much as possible, (see Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!), before taking your phone to T-Mobile.

One last question, When i go to settings - about device - software update.. it says Check for new software updates and download them? If possible, download via a WIFI network. You will still be able to use your device during the download.

Is that the same thing? or something else?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
One last question, When i go to settings - about device - software update.. it says Check for new software updates and download them? If possible, download via a WIFI network. You will still be able to use your device during the download.

Is that the same thing? or something else?

That's System Update. What happens if you check for an update?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried yet I wasn't sure if I should? lol I'm nervous to press anything. Because it says check for new software updates and download them.

While it's downloading you can continue to use your phone. Once downloaded, it will ask you to Install (which you can defer for a later time). It's during Installation that you cannot use your phone. Sometimes it can take up to 30 min to fully install and re-optimize apps.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01