Group Texts with iPhones on ATT

lobo1989

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I switched from my iPhone 4 in July and I love my phone. I have successfully deregistered my phone from iMessage (I can text with individual iPhone users, I turned off iMessage a week before I got my new phone, and I just checked with the iMessage de-register thing on apples website) and I have my mobile data on as I am able to access apps and send videos and picture messages. I am not however able to send or receive group text messages with anyone who has an iPhone. This is becoming a problem due to work and planning social events with my friends. Is there a work around for this? All but one of my friends has an iPhone and I do not want to go back to my iPhone or buy a new iPhone as I had nothing but problems with it, however right now I see it as the only option! Any workarounds?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
1) ensure that your messaging app is set to receive/send group messages as MMS

2) your colleagues likely have existing group messages that are trying to deliver to your imessage account (even though it's disabled). The only thing you can do is ask those people to delete the conversation and start a new. It's ****ty coming from an iPhone to an android device for this very reason...and it's apples fault who doesn't care. In fact they probably enjoy the fact it's cumbersome to leave imessage.

Posted via the Android Central App

lobo1989

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I am using the messaging app that is one the phone? How do I set this up?

Also if I start the group text I cannot see answers so I am assuming that #2 isn't the case? However I will ask a friend to delete a group text and try this! If not I will just have to get an iPhone :(

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I am using the messaging app that is one the phone? How do I set this up?

Also if I start the group text I cannot see answers so I am assuming that #2 isn't the case? However I will ask a friend to delete a group text and try this! If not I will just have to get an iPhone :(

You deactivated via the Apple site, right?
https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

As for you starting the group text...if you started a group text and sent to people that already had a group text with the same recipients, it's possible the recipients are still replying to your iMessage address.

Try my test (Delete group convo; start a new one) - then report back.

As for the MMS for Group Texts- open Messages and go to the settings. Look for it in there.

lobo1989

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I have done all of this. Still not receiving group texts. ATT and the Samsung Bar at Best Buy told me I need to take everyone I am having the problem with to the Genius Bar with me (which isn't possible since I am not getting work texts over 50 recipients). Someone also suggested having everyone who has my number delete it and re-save it. Any other more logical ideas?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I know is contact Apple and they just need to start a new convo, but this is an Apple issue and you aren't the first or the 2000th even, with this issue.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have done all of this. Still not receiving group texts. ATT and the Samsung Bar at Best Buy told me I need to take everyone I am having the problem with to the Genius Bar with me (which isn't possible since I am not getting work texts over 50 recipients). Someone also suggested having everyone who has my number delete it and re-save it. Any other more logical ideas?

Yea, asking them to do that for you is dumb plus time is money, and no one has time to resolve someone else's mobile issue.

I can say I ran into this myself (Verizon iPhone 5 to Galaxy S5) and I had to ensure iPhone users were not using my iMessage accounts (Email, phone, etc). If the message is blue - I won't receive it. If it's green, it's SMS and I should receive it.

Are you getting individual texts from the people in the group message?

You might consider using Textra as well for text messages. I like it better than the stock App. In the App, be sure to set the setting for "Use MMS for Group Messages" or similar setting.

lobo1989

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I get individual texts from people but not group texts. I did get one from my boss the other day (however she has an android so that shouldn't have been an issue) but I all of my friends have iPhones and I never get group texts from them. They actually thought I have been ignoring them! I just downloaded Textra and tried that!

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I get individual texts from people but not group texts. I did get one from my boss the other day (however she has an android so that shouldn't have been an issue) but I all of my friends have iPhones and I never get group texts from them. They actually thought I have been ignoring them! I just downloaded Textra and tried that!

My guess is they're using old group conversations that are still being delivered to your iMessage account (which doesn't exist). I would also ensure any other apple devices (Phone, Tablet, Computers) have iMessage disabled on them.

Related thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5904997?start=0&tstart=0

Julie Durand

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED! I could find nothing on the internet that would fix the issue with group texts & IPhones only arriving as download message (that would not download) on my new Samsung 6. Spoke to my BIL who has a Samsung 5. He recommended that I download Google Messenger (not Hangouts which can have its own issues) and dump the Samsung Messenger. Problem solved - works perfectly now.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED! I could find nothing on the internet that would fix the issue with group texts & IPhones only arriving as download message (that would not download) on my new Samsung 6. Spoke to my BIL who has a Samsung 5. He recommended that I download Google Messenger (not Hangouts which can have its own issues) and dump the Samsung Messenger. Problem solved - works perfectly now.

Nice! I mentioned that back in October though..did you just now try a different messenger?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084