Problem with Galaxy S5 Contacts App and possible virus, can I get some help?

santiherm

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Problem with Galaxy S5 Contacts App and possible virus

I am working on a S5 issue where the Android Contacts app keeps freezing. I figured out there is a specific contact that has been duplicated (so some unknown reason) several times (approximately 100-1,000 times). This contact also has a character of 3 dots before and after the name. I checked the contact on my Exchange but it is fine there are apparently 3 of the same contact and one of them contained a .wrf file. I have no idea what this is so I deleted the file out of the contact itself.

No matter what I've done I can't seem to remove all the contacts from appearing on Android. I tried using another contacts app and again it appears and freezes again. I have deleted a few of the duplicates and the original contact but there are to many. When in the app, you have but a few minutes before the app freezes and crashes. So i've able to delete about 3 contacts (the same duplicates) all in different times because there is no chance to delete more than one contact before a crash. I've cleaned the app's cache and cleared data, I've done the same with the phone, I've changed the phone, it keeps happening and I have no idea of a next step. Can anyone assist? I believe its this contact but I can not be sure of course.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Problem with Galaxy S5 Contacts App and possible virus

Which contact app are you referring to? Is it "Google Contacts"? If so, log into the web interface. From there, you can easily multi-select that contact and delete them all in one step. It's totally possible that a bad "non-readable" character is in there somewhere that the app can't handle.

santiherm

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Its not Google Contacts but Android Contacts that comes with the S5. And even through I can delete one contact at a time because the Contacts app freezes each time it would take several days to delete all the duplicates created. The worst part is that I have no idea if this is the problem and it would not be recreated by some other action.

billypakr

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Per this thread: forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/590447-linkedin-duplicating-contacts-multiple-times-contacts-app.html (it won't let me post a link because I'm a newbie :confused: ) it looks like there are issues with the LinkedIn app. I just uninstalled it and resynched my contacts and my phone performance seems to have immediately imrproved dramatically. If you're using LinkedIn on your phone I'd suggest giving that a try.

Last edited: