Sudden consistent lag that makes screen touches act as a long touch

Jaiess

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I tried to find the same issue but I couldn't, sorry if there's already a thread on this.

All of a sudden today my phone is lagging. And reads normal screen touches as a long touch. Even watching videos it catches and freezes for few seconds.

I've tried the cache wipe from the reboot menu and hasn't made a difference.

Any solutions to fix it?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I tried to find the same issue but I couldn't, sorry if there's already a thread on this.

All of a sudden today my phone is lagging. And reads normal screen touches as a long touch. Even watching videos it catches and freezes for few seconds.

I've tried the cache wipe from the reboot menu and hasn't made a difference.

Any solutions to fix it?

I have come across this on other forums and it is usually associated with the Verizon and AT&T phones that are running very heavy carrier bloatware and using up available RAM, thus causing a lag. You have done the obvious first step and wiped the cache partition, to no avail it would seem. You could try compensating for the lag and also debloat your phone as per #1.8 and #1.9 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide.

Also, if you have any performance draining apps such as those mentioned in post #1 of Battery, memory, data hogs... top 10, you may wish to disable them to see if that helps.

Jaiess

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I'm not on either of those networks. And the way it's suddenly happened I feel like there's something more to it as I've not downloaded anything new or done anything different. I can't even open the play store - it's as if I need a software update but it doesn't do anything when I try the software update check

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I'm not on either of those networks. And the way it's suddenly happened I feel like there's something more to it as I've not downloaded anything new or done anything different. I can't even open the play store - it's as if I need a software update but it doesn't do anything when I try the software update check

Lets check to see if there is an update for you.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone INFO ?Samsung? and it will give you, under Firmware Info... PDA, Baseband, CSC, versions.

For more information, see, 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Model number = SM-G900F

Android Version = 4.4.2

AP: G900FXXU1ANI3
CP: G900FXXU1ANG8
CSC: G900FVFR1ANI2

You have the international model on old, very, very, old, Android 4.4.2, firmware for Vodafone U.K. In fact, there have been 3 updates since that firmware and the latest is...

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country United Kingdom (Vodafone)
Version Android 5.0
Changelist 5508620
Build date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:25:12 +0000
Product code VOD
PDA G900FXXU1BOH4
CSC G900FVFG1BOH4

You can either...

Try connecting to the Samsung PC Suite, Kies, to update or take your phone to the nearest Samsung or Vodafone store and request an update or download and flash the firmware, above, by carefully following the instructions and video in the links of #1.11 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:

Jaiess

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I thought it was likely an old version. My problem is that the phone status is custom for some reason. I've tried removing the memory card and updating but it says the operating system has been modified in some way and does not allow for update.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I thought it was likely an old version. My problem is that the phone status is custom for some reason. I've tried removing the memory card and updating but it says the operating system has been modified in some way and does not allow for update.

Have you owned this phone from new?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Well someone did try root my phone but said they never completed it. maybe they left some residual files on my phone?

That would certainly explain why you have not received any updates via Kies or OTA. See, #1.10 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. Since your phone will not be covered by warranty, I suggest that you manually flash the firmware I mentioned. This will un-root you and give you the stock Samsung firmware.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa